Training apps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

old-guy

I’m thinking of getting a smart training system for the winter. I’m a 77 year old who rides mainly bike paths and I’m wondering if any of these many systems have programs that are just are for recreational purposes

Red17

Veteran
Most smart trainers will run with all of the main virtual cycling apps.

For general leisure riding I would go with Zwift, either solo just exploring the various worlds or joining some of the group rides. There are plenty of group rides at all speeds.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Any specific type of trainer that your thinking of? If you want it for leisure and keep it cheap, a 'dumb' wheel-on trainer + cadence and speed sensor would be the way to go.

As for the apps - go for Zwift. Always loads of other people 'free riding', organised events at a leisure pace, and I think you would particularly enjoy the 'pace partners' - bots riding at a specific pace, that people can follow - example of how this looks like below.

1664524646019.png

deuxfois

If you are still looking, you might find Rouvy to your liking. The 'rides' are actual videos, rather than the computer-generated Zwift, which is rather akin to an arcade game. Rouvy has thousands of routes all over the world, and you can ride alone or in company. It uses 'Augmented Reality' which allows you to choose pacing bots, do races and workouts with statistical readouts, or simply enjoy the scenery. I believe they still offer a fortnight's free trial. I've used it with a wheel-on trainer, and now with a Tacx Neo and a secondhand TV. Lots of interest, and certainly beats cold, wet and windy weather and traffic-jamming.
Keeps me fit while I wait for spring!

nicocyclo

Regular
I’m thinking of getting a smart training system for the winter. I’m a 77 year old who rides mainly bike paths and I’m wondering if any of these many systems have programs that are just are for recreational purposes
Hi there,
personally, I would recommend you ROUVY like the previous comments. They have footage of real routes around the globe and the community is really helpful (like everyone in the cycling community). You can ride there just for fun - alone or with a Group Ride. It is easy to use and the cost of the subscription is not high. There is a free trial to get the first experience, so just try it out and then see, if it´s your cup of tea.

Top Bottom