Training books?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pepecat

I'm after a book or two to give me some training tips / facts etc - have had a browse around and Joel Friel's Cyclists Training Bible seems ok. Is this a good book, or are there others out there that are better?
I'm not a beginner, but not an expert either, and not looking to do time trials or anything, just go faster (average mph) and for a bit longer. I don't want anything that's too 'heavy' either - by that I mean the sort of 'training every day including gym sessions' stuff - I only have time to get out twice a week, three times if I'm really lucky, and only one of those will be a long ride.

I've got this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bicycling-Magazines-Training-Techniques-Hewitt/dp/1594860521 but must admit I haven't looked at it yet. :blush:

Also, have a look at the other books mentioned further down the page.

The best training advice I've ever received was from an old Dutch fella I knew: just get out and ride, it's all about having the miles in your legs. Simple, but true.

amaferanga

Veteran
I've got this http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/1594860521 but must admit I haven't looked at it yet. :blush:

Also, have a look at the other books mentioned further down the page.

The best training advice I've ever received was from an old Dutch fella I knew: just get out and ride, it's all about having the miles in your legs. Simple, but true.

For a beginner or recreational cyclist maybe. But if we're talking about training to race for example (or just to get faster) then you'd get nowhere fast with the just ride approach (compared to a bit of structured training with intervals). Generally if you only have say 6 hours a week to ride (or whatever) then riding smart and not doing lots of junk miles will see much more improvement than just riding.

OP
OP
pepecat

pepecat

For a beginner or recreational cyclist maybe. But if we're talking about training to race for example (or just to get faster) then you'd get nowhere fast with the just ride approach (compared to a bit of structured training with intervals). Generally if you only have say 6 hours a week to ride (or whatever) then riding smart and not doing lots of junk miles will see much more improvement than just riding.

Exactly - I'd rather not do junk riding. I'm used to doing 30-40 mile rides, but probably aren't riding very 'smart' at the moment. Interval training or something a bit more structured is what I'm after. I get the point about getting out and cycling, and I do that, but i tend to be a but 'spurty' when i ride rather than consistently pedalling at a decent cadence for the majority of the ride. I can do maybe an hour and a half, one (possibly two at a push) evening(s) a week, and a longer ride at weekends (however many hours - doesn't really matter). So something to fit in around that would be good.

Top Bottom