Training hiccup

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Janeyb

I'm doing my first fifty miler - BHF Charity ride in Norwich in June. I know I can do the distance from a fitness perspective (although I've never actually done 50 yet!) but want to get a reasonable time and not have too many aches and pains on the bike. I've started training - being very cautious and upping the mileage by 10% a week as I can be prone to overtraining and injury (which is why despite 3 years of cycling after a long lay off, I still haven't gotten round to doing 50 miles)! As usual, spanner in the works....I've got a cold. I missed a training session yesterday and am resting again today with a view to hopefully getting a few miles in tomorrow and then a longer ride of around 25 miles on Sunday all being well.

Anyway.....I'm waffling....my question is......should I attempt a 50 before the big day or just build up in the knowledge that providing I am around the 40/45 mile mark before the event, I should comfortably manage a 50. I feel a weight on my shoulders as we have a ridiculous amount of sponsorship from work colleagues already, as well as the company I work for offering a donation of £500 after I've completed the event.

Apologies as no doubt this sort of question has been asked before but I'm not getting on very well with searching in the forums!

Top Bottom