Training Programme ideas.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
Its 10 years since I did any cycle touring - I'm now 3 stone heavier (working on that already) and am reduced to cycling 8 miles to/from work a couple of times a week.

I have a friend who's a seasoned cycle tourist and she's invited me to join her for part of her summer tour.

Now I know for many of you this will be laughable - I'm only going to be doing 4 days at approx 40 miles per day, but its obviously a big ike for me.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest any kind of training plan to get me up to speed - I really want to enjoy the trip rather than end up crying every day cos I can't go the distance!

the snail

Guru
Hi Sara, nothing magic about it really, just try to get lots of miles in regularly, maybe do the commute more days if you can, and get out at the weekends. If you regularly do 8 miles, then you could start with a 10 mile ride, then increase gradually. It's surprising how quickly you get used to longer distances. I'd suggest adding 5 miles, if you find 15 miles hard, then try the same distance again and it will seem easier, then try 20 miles and so on. If you're going to be carrying luggage then it would be good to practice some rides with a load to get used to it. Remember that if your legs ache after a ride, then that means they are getting stronger! If you can go out at the weekends with someone, the miles always seem to go by more easily. Enjoy your tour, I'm sure you will, and you'll probably be planning the next one by the time you get back!

andym

Über Member
What the snail said, pretty much. Can you up the number of days you ride into work from say two to three? Get out on the bike one day at the weekend?

If you're already cycling 16 miles in a day on a couple of days I suspect that 40 miles a day won't be such a big jump.

willem

Über Member
The best program is to cycle every day, even if that only involves short distances. This works much better than doing one 'large' ride a week. So if you can, try to change your lifestyle to include cycling into your daily commute. Also use your bike for shopping errands etc. Once you get that sorted, you will be amazed how much fitter you will get. After that, go on longer weekend rides, and gradually make them longer. Finally, make sure you are sitting properly on your bike. Many beginners have the saddle too low, and the handlebars too high. Is the bike in good shape? Good tyres help - don't get talked into ultra puncture proof tyres, for example, as these roll badly.
Willem

corshamjim

Don't forget to drink and eat plenty as you start doing longer rides. Plan a decent break at reasonable intervals too.

I found myself the biggest challenge was pacing myself for longer rides - it's too easy to ride too hard and get too tired. If there's a local group you can do some rides with, that may help you to get used to a steady easy pace.

My other advice if you're not doing this already is to commute in all weathers - it will help you to work out what foul weather gear works for you, and if you get bad weather come the tour it will seem less daunting.

Top Bottom