training rollers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berlinbear

Was thinking of getting some rollers to escape all this rain (Glasgow)any advice on which kind are best. I have a road bike.i am just getting back into cycling as dodgy knee wont allow me to run any longer.Any advice would be appreciated.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi berlinbear
Do you mean Rollers or a Turbo-trainer? One requires good balance and concentration (Rollers) and Turbo trainers don't!
Either way, it's your lucky month because my Cycling Plus Mag has just landed with a review of Rollers and Turbos!

kyuss

Veteran
I'd choose rollers over a turbo any day. There is a bit of a learning curve to master them but because you have to pay attention the whole time to keep your balance they are much less dull and boring than a turbo where you just turn off after 10 minutes. Turbos eat rear tyres for breakfast too unless you shell out for a turbo specific one.

Turbos do allow you to vary the resistance rather more than rollers do, so are more useful for high-resistance hill-rep type training.

But I do agree with kyuss that rollers are far more interesting to ride on - require balance and skill, plus will improve your pedalling action big-time.

You can also use rollers with a regular (front wheel) computer, whereas a turbo needs a back wheel one.

Top Bottom