Training %

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

Yes agreed I only use the tt when I cant get out on the bike,but dont target any specific training on it just substitute what I would of done on the bike.

As regards to the hr and training plan the OP doesn t really sound like hes quite ready for that route and i would suggest he spends more time in developing road craft riding in a group hill climbing developing sprinting teq. etc. I think at this stage it would probably be more beneficial to him.

jimboalee

lukesdad said:
Yes agreed I only use the tt when I cant get out on the bike,but dont target any specific training on it just substitute what I would of done on the bike.

As regards to the hr and training plan the OP doesn t really sound like hes quite ready for that route and i would suggest he spends more time in developing road craft riding in a group hill climbing developing sprinting teq. etc. I think at this stage it would probably be more beneficial to him.

It's best to learn how to play an instrument before joining a band.

jimboalee

Motor racing teams use 'Power rollers'.

These are chassis dynamometers that can absorb more than the car is capable of producing.

The team engineers tune the car's engine and drive it hard. It can be driven any way they wish because they are in a laboratory condition OFF the road and indeed, OFF the race circuit.

They can have the motor at Wide Open Throttle at Maximum kW for a constant hour if they wish. They certainly can't do this on the road or any track ( except the Millbrook bowl, which cost a fortune to hire for High speed testing ).

In the bike world, a turbo trainer or upright bike in the gym is to be used to IMPROVE a cyclist's physical performance in a manner not achievable on the road ( for safety's sake ).

I have said somewhere else "an hour's good thrashing on a gym bike is worth 4 hours road riding".
This is because..
1/ There are NO downhills on a gym bike.
2/ There are no traffic lights or junctions on a gym bike.
3/ There are no annoying motorists or WVM on a gym bike.
And most important,
4/ The gym bike can be ridden constantly at Wide Open Throttle at Maximum kW for an hour ( well, it can be attempted ).

In other words, the gym bike or tt is your laboratory to tune your engine.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Just a small point for Sam.
You mentioned 'ride more'.
If you are time restricted in your training plans, then you must ditch 'junk' miles.
Those miles on the bike where there is no specificity.
By and large indoor work can be highly focused but it is up to the individual.
There some people who have entrenched views and this may be reflected in their performance.

Bill Gates

jimboalee said:
Motor racing teams use 'Power rollers'.

These are chassis dynamometers that can absorb more than the car is capable of producing.

The team engineers tune the car's engine and drive it hard. It can be driven any way they wish because they are in a laboratory condition OFF the road and indeed, OFF the race circuit.

They can have the motor at Wide Open Throttle at Maximum kW for a constant hour if they wish. They certainly can't do this on the road or any track ( except the Millbrook bowl, which cost a fortune to hire for High speed testing ).

In the bike world, a turbo trainer or upright bike in the gym is to be used to IMPROVE a cyclist's physical performance in a manner not achievable on the road ( for safety's sake ).

I have said somewhere else "an hour's good thrashing on a gym bike is worth 4 hours road riding".
This is because..
1/ There are NO downhills on a gym bike.
2/ There are no traffic lights or junctions on a gym bike.
3/ There are no annoying motorists or WVM on a gym bike.
And most important,
4/ The gym bike can be ridden constantly at Wide Open Throttle at Maximum kW for an hour ( well, it can be attempted ).

In other words, the gym bike or tt is your laboratory to tune your engine.

;)

...........and dull your brain. By all means use the Turbo as part of an overall training programme but instead of? Come on!

Have you ever raced at a reasonable level or is your recommendation taken from a coaching manual? Going for an hour on a turbo at LT is not something I would want to do once let alone on a regular basis.

jimboalee

Bill Gates said:
:biggrin:

...........and dull your brain. By all means use the Turbo as part of an overall training programme but instead of? Come on!

Have you ever raced at a reasonable level or is your recommendation taken from a coaching manual? Going for an hour on a turbo at LT is not something I would want to do once let alone on a regular basis.

I've deleted my immediate response.

Bill speaks wisdom.

Refering to the motor race boys. They tune on the rollers but hurtle round the track or rally section to get drivability and handling correct.

I remember one member of Solihull CC turning up on a Sunday morning to be asked "Where were you last week". The reply was "The weather was crap so I got the turbo out and give it a good belting".

bonk man

Combine turbo with road [ or off road if that is your thing.. ].

As a training aid the turbo and heart rate monitor are ideal and makes the whole thing controllable.

I have been reading an old training manual and the training they recommend is easily attainable on a turbo in the modern age and is far more tunable. The road is unpredictable with traffic and weather being variable. They do say do some leisure riding especially in the off season and enjoy it. Gear your training around your seasons goals, there is no point peaking mid winter if you are a time trialler..

Training for racing is tough and hellish, you might as well do it in the dry with the music going than on wet March lanes in the mud and muck. Riding with mates in the chain gang is not brilliant either for reasons of differences of abilities, one of you is going to be stronger than the other and so on, one rider ends up in a total red zone and the other is having a pootle..
They hone your group riding skills though so they have a good side. Look at doing reliablity rides in the winter.

If you just want to be a stronger rider on the club rides there is no reason why brisk 50 milers once or twice a week on your own around the lanes will not suffice, but for racing and taking it seriously then it will hurt, physically and mentally. But it can be worth it.

lukesdad

As to the comparison with motor racing dyno -track miles-if the road is our track-surely the better dyno for overall engine development would be the gym off the bike cos youve allready done that bit on the road.

jimboalee

lukesdad said:
As to the comparison with motor racing dyno -track miles-if the road is our track-surely the better dyno for overall engine development would be the gym off the bike cos youve allready done that bit on the road.

I'm reluctant to describe the public highway as a cyclist's test track.

Maybe I was lucky having a cycling track as a place for testing, and a motorcycle chassis dynamometer as a place for training.

Bill Gates

Sam Kennedy said:
(If this belongs in the training forum feel free to move it)

I was wondering what % of training should be spent at the following levels:
50-60% of Max HR (Recovery/Efficiency)
60-70% of Max HR (Fitness/Fat Burn)
70-80% of Max HR (Endurance)
Intervals

So say I was training 10 hours a week, how many hours should be spent on each?

50-60% 1.5- 2 hours
60-70% 4-5 hours
70-80% 2-3 hours
Intervals 1 hour

This is time spent within the different zones and could even be on the same ride.

E.g. A two hour ride might include 30 minutes @ 60%, 1 hour @ 70%, 20 minutes @ 80% and 10 minutes 85-90%.

jimboalee

Bill Gates said:
50-60% 1.5- 2 hours
60-70% 4-5 hours
70-80% 2-3 hours
Intervals 1 hour

This is time spent within the different zones and could even be on the same ride.

E.g. A two hour ride might include 30 minutes @ 60%, 1 hour @ 70%, 20 minutes @ 80% and 10 minutes 85-90%.

That's only half a Brevet Populaire 100,,,, :laugh:

Top Bottom