Trans Pennine 215 miles - done !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
Sounds like an acheivement to be proud of,well done mate i'm sat here feeling rather envious now :thumbsup:

Cheers Chris. Yes happy to have got fitter than I was a year ago.

Chris-H

Über Member
Cheers Chris. Yes happy to have got fitter than I was a year ago.
Its such a good feeling when you realise that all the hard work is paying off,i started cycling to lose a few pounds and now i cant think of much else,wanting to plan a good long ride like yours for next year for our honeymoon,what sort of bike did you use?

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
Its such a good feeling when you realise that all the hard work is paying off,i started cycling to lose a few pounds and now i cant think of much else,wanting to plan a good long ride like yours for next year for our honeymoon,what sort of bike did you use?

Planet X Kaffenback. Great steel all rounder, not too heavy, SRAM RED gear except crankset which is SRAM Rival. Bought Jan this year for a grand through cycle to work.

On 35mm Schwalbe Marathon tyres.

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member

there were several people doing it on MTBs, mostly hardtails. Personally I think it would be like doing it on a tractor. You definitely don't need suspension, the tracks can be muddy in places but not that bad (depending on the weather). I think 35mm tyres are enough and give a little comfort for the length of ride. Puncture protection is a must especially around Southport, Liverpool and Hull.

I like the Kaffenback because it's simple, light, tough and flexible. Personally I wouldn't use SPDs because of the risk of slipping but that's just me.

One recommendation would be around navigation. Mostly the signage is good, but it can get confusing where a sign goes missing (near Aintree) or where the path splits (walkers one way, cyclists another). If you can do so, recce the route. Have the maps handy (they are very good).

Personally I'm a self-confessed gadget freak who will find any excuse to use one. :rolleyes: I got an excellent waterproof case for my Samsung SGS2 and followed the planned routes using ViewRanger. Battery life is an issue. I carried an external battery and kept the phone charged by USB (unplugging when it rained). Worked well for me, but the paper maps are excellent and certainly up to the job. I just like the GPS to tell me exactly where I am. :controlfreak:

The heavens opened when we got to Salters Brook in a way I didn't know was possible. The final run down from the top to Penistone was a flowing stream, no dry land to choose from, many times being deeper than the front hub..........

west to east. Stopped at Sale Premier Inn, then home then The Willows at Selby. Recommend both especially the latter.

That run down is ace - luckily it was dry for me I'd imagine it was dry as I'd imagine it to be a lot of fun (scary!) in the torrential rain you say.

Willows Selby is a name I'll hold to thanks, I'm planning on doing the Leeds>Hull section again in next month ish and the B&B I used last year (Royal Oak Selby) has gone up to £55 and appears fully booked for next 2 months!

Top Bottom