Transcontinental 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ian_oli

Über Member
Tracker now on the race homepage at www.transcontinentalrace.com. Having been a blue dot watcher last year I am now the events oldest participant this year.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Tracker now on the race homepage at www.transcontinentalrace.com. Having been a blue dot watcher last year I am now the events oldest participant this year.
The link won't load right now but I've bookmarked it. I assume it's the same rules - London to Istanbul via a big Alp following any route you choose. Anyhow, age gives you stamina (a complete fiction unless you're fit in the first place) so best of luck and I'll track your dot. Chapeau for even thinking of doing it!

mmmmartin

Random geezer
The event is organised by The Adventurists. I checked out their website. I rather like their homepage. This what it says:

"Our lives are getting more comfortable, safer and predictable as the spindly fingers of technology grip the planet. Getting lost now is almost impossible.

BOLLOCKS TO THAT"

Reactions: srw

fimm

Veteran
One of my colleagues is doing this. I was trying to look for him yesterday, but the tracker wasn't working. It is working now, and as I type my colleague is in the middle of Paris.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I think KA just did an illegal ferry ride and had to go back over the ferry and around the north bank of the Kotorska. Surely they could have told him before he climbed the 900 metres to the checkpoint. He's now back where he was 4 and a half hours ago.

fimm

Veteran
?
I have not investigated the rules, but I didn't think there were many!
Colleague has been through the Stelvio (sp?) checkpoint and is now on his way to Croatia.
ian_oli is in northen Italy.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
?
I have not investigated the rules, but I didn't think there were many!
Colleague has been through the Stelvio (sp?) checkpoint and is now on his way to Croatia.
ian_oli is in northen Italy.
Well, he climbed up to the checkpoint, and then went back down the switchbacks, took the ferry in the other direction and did a clockwise tour of the lake before climbing back up to the checkpoint for a second time. I can't think of any other reason for turning back and doing it again from a different direction. Well, no sane reason, that is.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Paris Michel has a reassuringly casual approach to this race. He's pootled off to Paris, had a break and then continued his journey from Charles de Gaulle airport to Athens, where he seems to have located a friend's apartment. Somehow he's managed to check in to Stelvio at a commercial flight altitude.

Meanwhile, KA is now in Turkey. Barring mechanicals, as they say.... Josh Ibbert is taking the lumpy ride north-east though aiming south of Sofia and looks like being a game 2nd. It was looking like Richard Dunnet would come in 3rd but, with such a southern route, it's difficult to tell. It's down to choice of route between him and Steffan Streich.

fimm

Veteran
According to some report I read somewhere, @deptfordmarmoset is quite correct about the illegal ferry ride - apparently any ferry journey needs to be approved before the race start.

I was quite worried about my colleague as he appeared to have stopped - however I think he just had tracker problems as he's now popped up again having magically flown quite a long way east in a straight line...

Top Bottom