Transferring ISA allowance from previous tax years?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr. Cow

Über Member
In the last tax year in December 2022 I opened a fixed 1 year cash isa with Virgin money and put money in.
In this tax year in April I opened another fixed 1 year cash isa with Nationwide and put money in that too.

In a few days the ISA I opened in December 2022 will be maturing where it will revert to a standard instant access isa with a poor rate of interest.
I do not want to close it and withdraw the money as it will lose its tax free status. I cannot "transfer in" this matured ISA to my current Nationwide ISA as I was only able to pay into it once (when I opened it) and it won't accept any more money.

My question, can I open a new ISA and transfer the matured ISA from the previous tax year to the new ISA? As I understand it you can only subscribe to 1 ISA in a tax year and invest new money upto the maximum yearly allowance. As this is money from a previous tax year so shouldn't count towards the yearly allowance? BUT I would have to open a new ISA to do so..?
Or do I have to leave the Virgin Money ISA where it is for 4 months with a paltry interest rate until April when I can do something with it e.g transfer it in to another ISA product?

I have searched t'internet and there is so much conflicting/wishy washy information even on he HMRC site :wacko:

Thanks

Last edited:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Yes. You can transfer the 2022 ISA to a
new provider. Just don’t add anything to it prior to April 2024.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yep if it’s from a prior tax year you can just find one paying a good high rate of interest and fix for a year or more (better rates than an easy access isa) and transfer in all or as much as you want.

Chislenko

Veteran
I am surprised the current provider doesn't offer options on reinvestment.
Certainly Skipton who I have Isas with send me a form each year when ISA is due to expire which always includes reinvest and offers today's rates.

I would ask your current provider.

Top Bottom