Treadmill? Or an exercise bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jhawk

Veteran
Hi all,

I'm trying to get in shape for next year's touring!

I already have a treadmill (which I'm trying to use more often... Really, I am! Honest.) But, I've found a great deal on a used exercise bike.

But, do I need it? Or can I use the treadmill in terms of getting in shape for touring?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Cheers,

Jack.

Kies

Treadmill and real bike are enough.

vickster

Legendary Member
Turbo trainer?

I am guessing the winters in New Brunswick are 'unfriendly' for outdoors cycling :cold::cold::cold:

I use an exercise bike, keeps me fit through the winter / when recovering from injuries, better to sit on it in front of the TV rather than the sofa!

OP
OP
jhawk

jhawk

Veteran
Turbo trainer?

I am guessing the winters in New Brunswick are 'unfriendly' for outdoors cycling :cold::cold::cold:

I use an exercise bike, keeps me fit through the winter / when recovering from injuries, better to sit on it in front of the TV rather than the sofa!

The Winter's in NB are ridiculous! -30 with several feet of snow, usually. :sad: So, no, certainly not hospitable to cycling! :sad:

I'll think on it some more.

Plax

Guru
I would say treadmill. As a cyclist I much prefer a treadmill to an exercise bike anyday. It has to be a decent treadmill though.
If you must get an exercise bike, then a turbo trainer or rollers would be better if you ask me. Rollers are more fun as you have to try not to fall off. I dare you to look down at your front wheel whilst on the rollers!

Diggs

Veteran
Yep what they said, personally I can't do too much running on my knees. I found exercise bikes are all well and good but I feel I benefit a lot more from spinning or turbo/rollers

vickster

Legendary Member
The Winter's in NB are ridiculous! -30 with several feet of snow, usually. :sad: So, no, certainly not hospitable to cycling! :sad:

I'll think on it some more.
@steveindenmark I think the answer could be here ;)

400bhp

Guru
I have rarely seen n exercise bike that mimicks the action of pedalling on a proper bike. Would therefore be interisting to know which exercise bi4 you are using

ayceejay

Guru
I agree with 400/ If it is a cardio exercise you are looking for either will do but if your desire is to improve your cycling fitness the exercise should be the same as riding your bike, so I guess riding your bike, one way or another is the answer.

Top Bottom