Treats?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Some of you might be getting annoyed with me settling family feuds by getting your backing on some our household disputes (if so please ignore and move on..if not thank you in advance for your help). I must say that it's not always gone my way and have graciously held my hands up (ok...so actually, I've slumped off in a huff but not brought it up again!).

So treats...I buy them for my wife and children sometimes on my way home e.g. the odd chocolate bar here, or tub of ice-cream there. There are a couple of things that are starting to annoy me:
1. I now arrive home and the first thing I hear is: What you got in your bag? (from the son...still young and I've got time to work on his grammar) - If the answer is 'nothing' I just get a collective tutting and sighing!
2. If the kids don't finish their treats, my wife eats them (even after she's eaten her own)
3. If I buy a multipack of treats...I still expect these to be seen as treats i.e. I came downstairs this morning and my wife was finishing off the last Magnum for breakfast and couldn't see why I was slightly annoyed (she does this with anything - muffins, Haribo etc

Ok - rant over :hyper:

Am I justified to be annoyed or should I go with the fact that it's the thought that counts???

rb58

Enigma
Mrs rb58 wouldn't dare go near the last Magnum.

KneesUp

Guru
Not helpful, and sounds sanctimonious, but food isn't a treat.

That said, the walk home from school is uphill, and daughter (4) often didn't have the energy to do it when she started school in September, so we used to get her a little chocolate bar (fudge, milky way -that sort of thing) to get her going, and now it's expected. We've got her on to proper dark chocolate (85% stuff) which is a bit better, but next September I think we're going to have to take the bull by the horns and phase it out.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I used to do this some years ago with my 5 kids.
Like your family, they began to almost expect it. So, I set the rules; if they asked what I had when I came in, they didn't get (if I had anything). I was in control of whatever I brought in, in other words even my husband had to ask to have anything - sounds harsh but it instilled in the kids that it wasn't automatically a free for all!

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Kids will always take advantage of things like that. Buy sweets once on your way home from work and it, will be expected every night, and don't expect them to be grateful. THEY ARE CHILDREN . They are a different species to the rest of the human race until they finally leave home, then they turn into relatively normal human beings.

as for your wife eating the last magnum for breakfast, 1. Your wife is not a child. Don't try to treat her as if she is. It's up to her if she eats rubbish for breakfast, and she won't be very nice to you if you try to tell her off. 2. The same applies to her finishing the kids treats off. I would advise you to file it away in your memory until you may want to use it as ammo against her in an arguement, or she says, "does my bum look big in this" or " i think I should go on a diet. What do you think?" And don't forget to wear a helmet at all times, as you are bound to be hit over the head, many many times, with numerous weapons of all shapes and sizes:laugh:. As a last resort, stop buying the treats. Problem sorted

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Kids will always take advantage of things like that. Buy sweets once on your way home from work and it, will be expected every night, and don't expect them to be grateful. THEY ARE CHILDREN . They are a different species to the rest of the human race until they finally leave home, then they turn into relatively normal human beings.

as for your wife eating the last magnum for breakfast, 1. Your wife is not a child. Don't try to treat her as if she is. It's up to her if she eats rubbish for breakfast, and she won't be very nice to you if you try to tell her off. 2. The same applies to her finishing the kids treats off. I would advise you to file it away in your memory until you may want to use it as ammo against her in an arguement, or she says, "does my bum look big in this" or " i think I should go on a diet. What do you think?" And don't forget to wear a helmet at all times, as you are bound to be hit over the head, many many times, with numerous weapons of all shapes and sizes:laugh:. As a last resort, stop buying the treats. Problem sorted
"THEY ARE CHILDREN"!....spot on.different species?....absolutely.
My wife eats and drinks and says what she likes; it doesn't affect me in the slightest.
33rd anniversary this year. Something must be right.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Ita called marriage and compromise in all things. This makes for relatively happy campers :laugh: . And always treat children like they are aliens from another planet. Then you can't go wrong

martint235

Dog on a bike
I buy SWMBO treats all the time. Whatever they are the memory of them lasts for between 60 secs and 6 hours roughly. For example, on Saturday we went to the garden centre where I bought her two plants and a nice lunch in the pub next door. On Sunday afternoon, after admittedly she'd come home with two Easter eggs for me, I got "You never buy me anything". I've decided this is normal and that there is some part of a woman's brain that is related to that of a goldfish. Except when we do something wrong, then it miraculously merges with that of an elephant.

Top Bottom