Trek Allant+ 8, I think we have found the bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
Its taken me years to convince MrsW that she should purchase an ebike, but finally after a quick test ride on a Specialized Vado and a Specialized Creo last weekend she has now warmed to the idea. But as nice as the Vado was, I wasn't really happy with the built in battery or the overall range really on either bike.

The master plan is that we will do some YHA weekends together ever now again, so ideally a range of maybe 60+ miles, but loaded with one or even two panniers. I had originally dismissed the really heavy e-bikes as I thought initially that maybe the Vado or the Creo fitted with a battery extender would do the job? But when you start looking at the technical specs and inpartuclar the torque range on the Vado and Creo compared to the likes of the heavyweight Trek and Giant bikes, there is quite a difference.

She (and me) road tested a Trek Allant+ 8 this afternoon, and oh boy, what a piece of kit! A huge (removable) battery and a massive amount of torque which of course all comes at a cost in terms of weight, its a monster weighing in at circa 42lbs and that's without adding any panniers. That said, once you get it rolling the weight is of little significance at all, its surprisingly nimble and very agile, and put it in turbo mode and start off....goodness me!

In an ideal world, she really wanted a lighter bike, but if you buy a lighter e-bike, such as the Vado/Creo or the Orbea and Ribble which were others that we also looked at, then add a battery extender, the weight goes up as well as well the cost but the performance/range is no where near that of the Allant+ 8 or similar bikes in that same category.

I guess its all a trade off isn't it, but I think the Allant+ 8 has ticked all the necessary boxes apart from one, the overall weight as we would have liked to have been able to put the ebike inside the car and my normal road bike on the roof rails, so if we went away we could take the bikes with us, but no way would I try and put the Allant in the car. Even with the battery removed its still a solid old lump to try and pick up, goodness knows how you would get on if you had a puncture!!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You better start pumping iron Alan.

gzoom

Über Member
It's goes to show why eBikes are just like any other bike, and the n+1 rule still woks :smile:.

I absolutely love my Creo, I get about 100 miles or range from it which is more than enough for my needs.

I'm surprised you find the Allant 'nimble', my Boardman eBike with panniers etc comes in at 23kg and feels like a tank to ride compared to the Creo at 13kg.

The Creo still isn't as agile as my 7.8kg analogue 2013 Trek Madone, but I can live with that given the much better overall package.

Buy the best 'bike' that suites your wife needs, rather than the get distracted by numbers for the motor/battery.

53231001014_27050a5391_c_d.jpg

gzoom

Über Member
goodness knows how you would get on if you had a puncture!!

I presume it comes fitted with Marathon+ tires? In which case it'll pretty much never puncture, but not a good tire if you are after road 'feel'.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
It's goes to show why eBikes are just like any other bike, and the n+1 rule still woks :smile:.

I absolutely love my Creo, I get about 100 miles or range from it which is more than enough for my needs.

I'm surprised you find the Allant 'nimble', my Boardman eBike with panniers etc comes in at 23kg and feels like a tank to ride compared to the Creo at 13kg.

The Creo still isn't as agile as my 7.8kg analogue 2013 Trek Madone, but I can live with that given the much better overall package.

Buy the best 'bike' that suites your wife needs, rather than the get distracted by numbers for the motor/battery.

Interesting that you can get so much range on the Creo, that's far more than the guy in the Specialized Concept store said it was capable of?
I guess if we didn't want to do the odd weekend trip away, then the Creo or the Domane would fit the bill quite nicely.
That said, l would want a battery that was removable as the bike would be stored in a unheated workshop.
When not under battery power yes the Allant was a bit of a handful, but as l said once moving it wasn't really an issue.
Bit like when l had big motorbikes, my last one was a BMW 1150GS which had a 30 litre fuel thank, trying moving that around, especially when it had all the panniers on!

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
I presume it comes fitted with Marathon+ tires? In which case it'll pretty much never puncture, but not a good tire if you are after road 'feel'.

I think they might have been, but yes l agree about the lack of road feel, pretty non existant to be honest.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The spec says Bontrager balloon-style tyres, which should suit the bike.

I'm not sure what road feel is, but it's a flat bar trekking bike so I don't think roadie-type comparisons mean anything.

There is no magic wand here, all someone getting 100 miles from a small battery means is they are using very little assistance.

The Bosch Eco setting is very light assist, so the bike will go a long way on that, especially with the biggest battery.

However, I'm going to suggest that may not be sufficient for this application.

The next one up - Tour - should be, which will likely give a range of about 50 miles.

fritz katzenjammer

Der Ubergrosserbudgie
We had an Allant+ through the shop for a routine service a few weeks back. Part of the routine is plugging her into the computer and running the Bosch diagnostics software as well as downloading any software updates that have been issued ( it’s like servicing a friggin car )

Anyway… the computer showed a touch over 40,000 km on the bike and the poor thing is under two years old. Is the guy living on this thing?

The derailleur looked like it was about to dissolve but you shouldn’t have to worry about motor reliability anyway.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
The next one up - Tour - should be, which will likely give a range of about 50 miles.

You mention the next one up, being the Tour, what brand is that as l canntvsee it in the Trek line up?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
You mention the next one up, being the Tour, what brand is that as l canntvsee it in the Trek line up?

Assistance levels on the Bosch system - Eco, Tour, Sport, Turbo.

Each level gives progressively more assistance, which uses more power, which reduces range.

For this purpose the make of the bike is irrelevant - the motor/battery performs the same, whatever is written on the down tube.

You could get a Bosch powered trekking bike from most of the major manufacturers.

The Trek looks as neat as any, particularly as it doesn't have a pointless suspension fork.

Assistance levels on the Bosch system - Eco, Tour, Sport, Turbo.

Each level gives progressively more assistance, which uses more power, which reduces range.

For this purpose the make of the bike is irrelevant - the motor/battery performs the same, whatever is written on the down tube.

You could get a Bosch powered trekking bike from most of the major manufacturers.

The Trek looks as neat as any, particularly as it doesn't have a pointless suspension fork.

The assist levels mentioned are correct for the ActiveLine series

There is another version called the PowerLine series designed for proper MTB use rather than road/path use - it has different assist levels with different priorities
Not sure of the exact different - but if people see different assist levels they should check the labels on the motor

Dadam

The assist levels mentioned are correct for the ActiveLine series

There is another version called the PowerLine series designed for proper MTB use rather than road/path use - it has different assist levels with different priorities
Not sure of the exact different - but if people see different assist levels they should check the labels on the motor

My Cube with PerformanceLine CX motor has those mentioned above plus "e-MTB" which is an adaptive mode using the torque sensor. Basically keeps the assist low if you're pootling but responds with a big boost if you suddenly push hard on the pedals, for example setting off on a steep section or getting over a chunky boulder. Works really well and I tend to leave it in that mode when off road

Top Bottom