Trek District Conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arbocop

I've been given a Trek District frame set which has been well used, but is still basically OK. My colleague used it for a 24 mile a day round trip for over two years. The rear hub has gone and there is no drive, and I have no front wheel as he kept this for his new one - he likes them so much he bought another. I do however have the belt.

My question is, should I get some replacement wheels? I can't find any new or otherwise, although I am sure I can order some, but that sounds expensive, and the standard wheels are horrific!

My other option is to convert it to chain drive, with a new chainring, or crankset and bb. After all those miles, I am sure that the bb is fairly well shot, even though it doesn't feel like it is. Shall I just buy a standard set of ss wheels, crankset and bb.

Anyone done this before?

Mike

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Any shimano 135mm wheelset will do. The belt sprocket is 9 splined to match shimano kit.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I've been given a Trek District frame set which has been well used, but is still basically OK. My colleague used it for a 24 mile a day round trip for over two years. The rear hub has gone and there is no drive, and I have no front wheel as he kept this for his new one - he likes them so much he bought another. I do however have the belt.

My question is, should I get some replacement wheels? I can't find any new or otherwise, although I am sure I can order some, but that sounds expensive, and the standard wheels are horrific!

My other option is to convert it to chain drive, with a new chainring, or crankset and bb. After all those miles, I am sure that the bb is fairly well shot, even though it doesn't feel like it is. Shall I just buy a standard set of ss wheels, crankset and bb.

Anyone done this before?

Mike
Conversion to 135mm fixed or single speed is not so easy...unless, you don't mind a bodge. Get any wheel set and use a single speed conversion kit to get the correct chain line. Going fixed on 135mm is a tadgy bit more hassle, having wheels built, getting the chain line right etc etc.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Are you sure it's 135mm OLN? I think my Trek 4th District is 120mm. I'll just get the tape measure out :smile:

[ETA] Yep, definitely 120mm :smile:

Looking at the replaceable dropouts mine bend in from the frame, so there may be ones for different OLNs around.

OP
OP
A

arbocop

So a 120/100 wheelset should fit - I should have measured it myself really - then just a bb/crankset unless I can just change the chainring and keep it aligned.

I don't fancy fancying around with all that belt drive business, even though I do quite like the idea. This one won't be fixed though, I am going to be attaching a tag along for my son, so freewheel is just fine.

Mike

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Check the OLN on the frame. Easiest way would just be to get a ruler and measure from inside of one dropout to the inside of the other when there's no wheel in.

measure-spacing.jpg

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
My colleague used it for a 24 mile a day round trip for over two years..............I do however have the belt.
That's interesting, 24 miles x 2 years x 230 days = 11000 miles!

My other option is to convert it to chain drive
If you're happy with single-speed, I'd stick with the belt. It's much, much easier to look after than a chain, and a lot less messy. Oh, and even if you're not happy with single-speed, I'd go for an Alfine 8 hub with belt rather than a chain (for exactly the same reasons I've already mentioned).

Thegiantpeanut

Belt drive districts have an OLN of 135mm, chain drive have 120mm. I think this is where the confusion is coming from. Email trek and ask if they can send you the 120mm dropouts, should be able to. The base frames on these bikes are the same its just the sliding drop-outs are different. Alternatively, if you want to just go single speed, you could use some old road wheels with a ss cassette adaptor.

OP
OP
A

arbocop

Thanks all, that's really helpful. Its not as straightforward as I thought, but I think I will try and keep the belt and get a pair of wheels with a new hub. Not sure where to get a belt drive hub though.

Mike

Top Bottom