Trek Domane SL 5 vs Cube Attain GTC SL vs Giant Defy Advanced 1 (2022 editions) - Help me choose

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnboot

Regular
I’m on the market for more of an endurance road bike. I’ve narrowed down to these three and would appreciate any advise, especially if anybody had either ridden or owned any of them.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Just so we all know exactly which model and model year you are referring to and to save members a lot of googling could you please post links to each of the bikes.

Thanks.

OP
OP
J

johnboot

Regular
Thanks for your reply. I’m looking at 2022 versions of these bikes (I’ll edit the original post)

OP
OP
J

johnboot

Regular
So, I’m looking at the 2022 versions of these and not ridden any of them.

In the past, I have ridden a 2018 version of the Cube GTC SL, but it was a size too small for me, so difficult to get a proper impression. I did like it though in terms of comfort (I‘m currently riding a Cube flat handle bar road bike, SL Road SL which I like, but I’m wanting to get a carbon road bike as a summer / sportive bike and use my current one for commuting)

Alex321

Veteran
I bought the Cube Attain GTC Race (not the SL) last August, and I love it. I think in spite of the names, the SL is slightly more race-oriented than the Race:wacko:

Not the lightest of carbon-framed bikes, at 9.4Kg, but it feels exceptionally responsive - not that I've had another bike of that quality to compare against.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
I have the 2018 Attain GTC Pro Disc and have zero complaints. Definitely more of an endurance geometry, very comfortable on longer rides. Despite this it's very responsive as Alex had said as I think most Attains are.
Not sure which wheelset yours will come with but the Fulcrums on mine are strong and stiff without feeling over heavy, best wheelset I've had on a bike.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
You probably already know this but stock availability of Domane and Defy is not great at the moment, although I have noticed some movement in terms of this, but only literally in the last couple of weeks. Cube great bang for buck, mind you. Test what you can. Cannot really go wrong with a Defy Imho, and yes I do own one. Domane meant to be seriously comfy and takes wide tyres, slightly at the expense of weight but I doubt you are buying to compete in hill climbs.

OP
OP
J

johnboot

Regular
You probably already know this but stock availability of Domane and Defy is not great at the moment, although I have noticed some movement in terms of this, but only literally in the last couple of weeks. Cube great bang for buck, mind you. Test what you can. Cannot really go wrong with a Defy Imho, and yes I do own one. Domane meant to be seriously comfy and takes wide tyres, slightly at the expense of weight but I doubt you are buying to compete in hill climbs.

Yes, stock not the best at the mo, but thankfully I’m not in too much of a rush, as have my current bike.

In terms of wait, ironically it’s the cube that have the longest lead time at the mo for my size (January 2023!). Potentially I could get the Trek with a 1 month lead time (so receive july this year). The giant a bit hit or miss. I was hoping to get before london to brighton which Ive signed up for in Sept, but not the end of the world if I dont get before then (would have been nice to have a bit of as lighter bike for Ditchling Beacon which I’ve heard is a challenging hill 😅.

Another option is I get a used road bike to tide me over if there’s a really long lead time.

As you’ve suggested, Im going to try and see if I can try out a giant / trek (but with the whole stock situation , Im guessing may be a bit tricky)

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

johnboot

Regular
I have the 2018 Attain GTC Pro Disc and have zero complaints. Definitely more of an endurance geometry, very comfortable on longer rides. Despite this it's very responsive as Alex had said as I think most Attains are.
Not sure which wheelset yours will come with but the Fulcrums on mine are strong and stiff without feeling over heavy, best wheelset I've had on a bike.

Thanks for replying and sharing how you find it. The one I’m looking at in terms of wheelset comes with Cube own Brand ones (not sure who makes them) called ‘Cube RA 1.9 Aero)

Alex321

Veteran
Thanks for replying and sharing how you find it. The one I’m looking at in terms of wheelset comes with Cube own Brand ones (not sure who makes them) called ‘Cube RA 1.9 Aero)

They are made by AlexRims They don't sell that wheelset separately, they are only manufactured for Cube.

Attachments

• 20210809_113949[1].jpg
    20210809_113949[1].jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 16

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I was hoping to get before london to brighton which Ive signed up for in Sept, but not the end of the world if I dont get before then (would have been nice to have a bit of as lighter bike for Ditchling Beacon which I’ve heard is a challenging hill 😅.

Unless you have an early start time, if its the BHF mass L-B ride, DB is likely to be strewn with people pushing their bikes up it, so even if you had the ability to cycle up, actually doing that unimpeded is quite a task.

PS you wont be disappointed with any of your options, its more what's available in your size and what makes your heart sing looks-wise.

OP
OP
J

johnboot

Regular
Unless you have an early start time, if its the BHF mass L-B ride, DB is likely to be strewn with people pushing their bikes up it, so even if you had the ability to cycle up, actually doing that unimpeded is quite a task.

PS you wont be disappointed with any of your options, its more what's available in your size and what makes your heart sing looks-wise.

So the L-B one Im doing isn‘t the BHF one, its this one, which isn’t as big, but I’m guessing still may have the same issue 😅 https://www.londonbrightoncycle.co.uk/

Still waiting to here about start times etc

And yes, I do agree that psychologically, aesthetics to play a role in overall enjoyment of the bike ad wanting to go out on it etc

Last edited:
Top Bottom