Trek EX frame cracks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Has anyone had 1st hand experience of the seat-stays cracking just in front of the forward weld that joins the rear brake mount to the seat-stay?
I've talked to one person that had a large crack appear (on an EX7) and also seen identical problem on mtbr's review of the EX9 (currently about 16th review down by bkTrek). My friend's EX8 has the 'extra weld' that (hopefully) prevents this. It seems like a really major design flaw and I imagine could be quite dangerous in certain conditions.
I'm quite amazed that a redesigned bike could have such a problem & am just curious as to how widespread it is.
I work in the NDT field and detect tiny cracks in gas turbines and it would be interesting to hear a bit more about this alarming issue.

It should be noted that Trek replaced the items in question (cheaper than a recall) but after looking at a pre-used model, i would be wary of buying one without the original purchase receipt as it wouldn't be replaced. You could end up with an expensive and useless collection of welded tubing.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
globalfish said:
Has anyone had 1st hand experience of the seat-stays cracking just in front of the forward weld that joins the rear brake mount to the seat-stay?
I've talked to one person that had a large crack appear (on an EX7) and also seen identical problem on mtbr's review of the EX9 (currently about 16th review down by bkTrek). My friend's EX8 has the 'extra weld' that (hopefully) prevents this. It seems like a really major design flaw and I imagine could be quite dangerous in certain conditions.
I'm quite amazed that a redesigned bike could have such a problem & am just curious as to how widespread it is.
I work in the NDT field and detect tiny cracks in gas turbines and it would be interesting to hear a bit more about this alarming issue.

It should be noted that Trek replaced the items in question (cheaper than a recall) but after looking at a pre-used model, i would be wary of buying one without the original purchase receipt as it wouldn't be replaced. You could end up with an expensive and useless collection of welded tubing.

Cool!

I did a fair bit of that when I was studying (Mat sci in sheffield)

I did enjoy the case studies.

Top Bottom