Trek Madone Reviews

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am going for a test ride tomorrow on a 4.9 Madone. Just wondering if anyone has one on CC and if they had any thoughts/likes/dislikes or general reviews. I am struggling to find someone who owns one !

thanks
Clive

MadoneRider1991

Über Member
Mista Preston said:
I am going for a test ride tomorrow on a 4.9 Madone. Just wondering if anyone has one on CC and if they had any thoughts/likes/dislikes or general reviews. I am struggling to find someone who owns one !

thanks
Clive

i love madones!!! as u can probs tell from my name ;)

they are great bikes they ride well and are very comfortable!!

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/madone-45-08-29372

thats the best review to read for the 4 series madone!! :biggrin:

any questions on the madone then dont hesitate to email me!

joe..

OP
OP
Mista Preston

Mista Preston

Veteran
thanks, think they have changed a little in spec since 2008 not to mention the price !

Do you have the TCT carbon of OCLV? . Do you know what the TCT carbon is like compared to on other bikes. This unspecified carbon is the only bit that concerns me if only a little.

I am looking at them based on their geometry which seems somewhere in the middle of the Spesh Tarmac and Roubaix

MadoneRider1991

Über Member
Mista Preston said:
thanks, think they have changed a little in spec since 2008 not to mention the price !

Do you have the TCT carbon of OCLV? . Do you know what the TCT carbon is like compared to on other bikes. This unspecified carbon is the only bit that concerns me if only a little.

I am looking at them based on their geometry which seems somewhere in the middle of the Spesh Tarmac and Roubaix

the the specs the same but it is still the same frame!! lol

i ride a 5.2 pro so my carbon is the black series OCLV, from what i have heard the TCT carbon weighs abit more but apart from the the handlings the same, oh and the ride will be a tad harder because it has a normal seatpost not an intergraded one.

if your going to go the spesh route then go for a roubaix if you want comfort or the tarmac if your a racer, some people wil have there own opions on the spesh bikes ;)

patheticshark

I ride a women specific 5.0 Madone from '07, so not very close in terms of spec or geometry. But for what it's worth, I love it.

zacklaws

Guru
I'm at work now, so cannot confirm the details too well, but to keep the prices the same as 2009 models for the 2010 models, they lowered the standard of parts etc on the Madone range (not the frame). I bought the 2009 4.5 but prefered the 2010 4.5 colour scheme but by buying the 2009 model I got a better bike for the same money. Off top off my head a 2010 4.9 madone will have the same or similar parts as the 2009 4.7 as I see the 2010 4.7 has virtually the same components as the 2009 4.5, but I have also just noticed their is no 2009 4.9 Madone and the components may be better than the 2009 4.7 as I see it includes Dura Ace as well as Ultegra.

My experience of the 4.5 is that it has been very difficult to get comfortable on it. I have a Trek 1.2 which is brilliant, yet despite the geometry being exactly the same between a 1.2 and a 4.5, they are like chalk and cheese and the 1.2 is far more comfortable. At the moment I am on my 4th sadlle, a Fizik Arione, and it seems to have sorted out all my problems, perhaps swapping the saddle from the 1.2 may have sufficed and then bought another if it did. Yet I cannot understand why both bikes have different saddle heights measured from the bottom bracket yet all dimensions are the same. Saddle too low on the Madone kills my quads and knees if set the same height as the 1.2.

The only other parts I had to change were the tyres as they were lethal and useless at cornering plus very puncture prone.

Apart from that its a brilliant bike and well recomended. Cycling opened a new chapter when I bought a Madone and would happily buy another

GrahamG

Guru
zacklaws said:
My experience of the 4.5 is that it has been very difficult to get comfortable on it. I have a Trek 1.2 which is brilliant, yet despite the geometry being exactly the same between a 1.2 and a 4.5, they are like chalk and cheese and the 1.2 is far more comfortable. At the moment I am on my 4th sadlle, a Fizik Arione, and it seems to have sorted out all my problems, perhaps swapping the saddle from the 1.2 may have sufficed and then bought another if it did. Yet I cannot understand why both bikes have different saddle heights measured from the bottom bracket yet all dimensions are the same. Saddle too low on the Madone kills my quads and knees if set the same height as the 1.2.

Different length cranks?

zacklaws

Guru
Both bikes have 175mm cranks. I originally set the Madone to exactly the same measurements as the 1.2 but it was not to be. I have been totally flumuxed by it that much, I have had a tape measure on both bikes measuring and comparing and checking repeatedly with the published geometry but there is nothing irregular anywhere. Even thought that the frame was incorrectly sized but no. Both bikes have a different size stem for the bars but its only milimeters and would not have thought it would effect saddle height or anything to do with the legs.

Top Bottom