Trek Pilot 2.1, Scott S20 & others

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sayek1

Looking to move up form a hybrid to a road bike. Am not anticipating serious racing, but will do a few long rides (aiming to do 100m when fit enough) and some sociable events like the Trossachs Ton, Cledonian Etape etc etc.

The Trek "sounds" more comfortable as it is not an all out racing machine. However, should I aim lower (am I going for a rolls royce when a mondeo would do), or should I look at other alternatives eg. Trek 1.5, Cannondale CAAD8 etc

I will try a few bikes once my firms CTW comes through, but am looking for some advanced views.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Your looking at a sportive bike around the £1k mark basically I guess, there are a few options, im a newby tbh but recently I bought a new bike with the same uses in mind as you.

I rode the Trek 2.1, personally I didnt like it, spec wise and price wise its a good deal, its mostly 105 groupset with tiagra brakes. Looks nice etc. But imo wasnt very comfy, I cant tell handling form one bike to the next in this price range (like most newbys cant) but it did feel drasticaly different to other bikes I tried, it felt a lot more "rumbley" and less stuck to the road in my opinion. I also tried one of the higher end Trek's for sizing (Carbon Madone, not sure of the exact one) didnt like that either. I went for a Cannondale caad9 with tiagra groupset, I decided to plunk for lesser group for a frame that felt much nicer to me.

All in all try the £1k mark bikes from all the major brands and see what you like best, I gathered during my search for that price you will basically be choosing on appearence and feel on the most part, they will all be good bikes. You can always upgrade the groupset if you choose a lesser one initially to get a nicer frame for your budget.

Good 1k bikes I know of,

Cannondale CAAD9 w Tiagra
Cannondale CAAD8 w 105
Boardman Team-carbon w SRAM Rival?(only available at Halfords and online, its meant to be a great bike, Halfords puts people off, inc me)
Boardman Team w SRAM Rival (same as the Team-carbon but aluminium frame, only £800, also only available at Halfords and online)
Trek 2.1 w 105 & Tiagra Brakes
Trek 1.5 w Tiagra

Then there is the Scotts, Specialized's, Genesis bikes all in that range you may consider.

You need to ride them to know what you like. If your on the thing for 100 miles you wont be very concerned about other peoples opinions by the end of the day ;) I didnt realise how different bikes could feel in the same price range.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Yes I forgot about that one, the Planet X has Carbon frame w Ultegra Mix groupset for about £1000, if I remember rightly, was reviewed in last months Cycling Plus, check bikeradar, the review is probly on there. Its great on paper, but you'd have to see one and ride it to know if its for you.

OP
OP
S

sayek1

Thanks guys. Plenty of food for thought. I hadn't thought of Planet X, but will give them a look.

Any other views would be appreciated.

Get a fast frame - you can engineer some comfort (at a cost - Easton EC90's and a carbon seatpost) but you have trouble making a comfy frame fast! Any of the above alloy frames will do,add on a couple of decent wheels and you will have a pretty decent but slightly harsh road bike -which is where the ec90's come in.

monnet

Guru
accountantpete said:
Get a fast frame - you can engineer some comfort (at a cost - Easton EC90's and a carbon seatpost) but you have trouble making a comfy frame fast! Any of the above alloy frames will do,add on a couple of decent wheels and you will have a pretty decent but slightly harsh road bike -which is where the ec90's come in.

Buy a bike for a grand and then stick a £1k+ carbon wheelset on it? Given a 1k bike will come with Aksium equivalents (a very decent and robust wheelset) if you do want to upgrade the wheels then surely something in the Kysrium range of the market (or hand builts) would be more suitable.

Most bikes at that price range come with carbon seat posts anyway.

bad boy

Über Member
accountantpete said:

I agree

Top Bottom