Trek supercaliber - Opinions from owners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gixxerman

Guru
I love my hardtail, but would like to have a bit of rear suspension without the weight penalty and extra complications of a conventional rear shock system.

I looked with great interest the new Trek Supercaliber. It seems just what I a looking for.
However, the concept looks a bit radical and a bike shop owner mate is not convinced that it will be any good. He says that Cannondale tried a similar thing some time back and it wasn't a great success.

So have anyone on here got one and if so, what do you think of it?

Not an owner but I saw the video on the strut and how it works. Apparently it is aimed for those who are interested in a lighter version and still want some decent suspension similar to your ask. Also saw how the strut moves as well as the ability it to become a hardtail with a lock. Impressive. No idea about Cannondale.

Interestingly I thought it would appeal to hardtail riders who knows what is missing and this might be it. A long awaited solution I guess. Cost is however is significant.

Good luck with your research.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Around nine grand for an extra bit of squishy? I think I'd just just stick with what you've got and keep the money in your pocket.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's a single pivot. What would worry me is the propriety shock - you'll be stuck in a few years when parts run out.

It's an XC bike so won't be much different from your hard tail. All depends on your intended use.

What's your hard tail like - is it a more modern long and slack bike or XC.

You may find the Trek is isn't as capable down hill than a modern hard tail.

fossyant

What's your intended use ? There are way better bikes for that money - depending upon use.

Bird Aether 9c if you want carbon and a 130mm Trail bike, starting from £3.3k. Trek has just 60mm travel at the rear, so really won't be much different from a hard tail. The Trek is an XC race bike.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
It's a single pivot. What would worry me is the propriety shock - you'll be stuck in a few years when parts run out.

It's an XC bike so won't be much different from your hard tail. All depends on your intended use.

What's your hard tail like - is it a more modern long and slack bike or XC.

You may find the Trek is isn't as capable down hill than a modern hard tail.

Currently have a 2009 Trek 8500. Great bike with extra Richey carbon bits added.
Just starting to look a bit dated now and parts are getting harder to find (triple 9 speed with 26").
So if I decide to change, I might as well get a bit of extra bounce at the rear for when I need it.
The ability to lockout the rear shock is a great selling point for me as it makes climbing more efficient, and at my age, I need all the help I can get. Which is also the reason I'd like a bit of rear bounce to be a bit more comfortable.
My riding is mostly bridleways and forest tracks, with the occaisional trip to a trail centre for red routes.
I'm sure that the industry will latch onto the propriety shock thing and produce spares / replacements as I think the bike will be a decent seller for Trek.

fossyant

I'm sure that the industry will latch onto the propriety shock thing and produce spares / replacements as I think the bike will be a decent seller for Trek.

Don't fool yourself. Quite a few Scott's with their "Genius suspension" are finding replacements difficult a few years down the line. You want an XC FS that's serviceable. Have a look at BMC Fourstroke - 100mm each end. We've an alloy one, and it's stupid light.

You may not know, but standards keep changing on MTB's. Steer clear of any bike that uses manufacturer propriety stuff.

You can lockout any suspension, but suspension bikes are so good now, you won't lock them out, just no need. I don't even lock mine out on a tarmac climb.

JhnBssll

Veteran
One of my friends races XC and recently upgraded his ProCaliber to a SuperCaliber and he only has good things to say about it. If you've got any specific questions I'd be happy to pass them on :okay:

OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
One of my friends races XC and recently upgraded his ProCaliber to a SuperCaliber and he only has good things to say about it. If you've got any specific questions I'd be happy to pass them on :okay:
What concerns me slightly is the rear stay flex. Will this suffer fatigue cracking? Not sure if this affects carbon fibre or not. It does look rather alarming in the videos that I have watched. Could bottoming out also cause structural damage?

JhnBssll

Veteran
What concerns me slightly is the rear stay flex. Will this suffer fatigue cracking? Not sure if this affects carbon fibre or not. It does look rather alarming in the videos that I have watched. Could bottoming out also cause structural damage?

Assuming the engineers at Trek have done their sums right I can't imagine either of those things being a problem. A properly designed carbon fibre component will have better fatigue life than any metal component, assuming the resin used doesn't break down over time. This can happen due to chemical attack or high UV exposure, ie leaving it outside 24/7 near the equator, but its not particularly likely.

Top Bottom