Trevor Jarvis Flying Gate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
The build was completed yesterday after delays caused by tardy delivery and the despatch of incorrect parts.

It's a 1983 frame that had been butchered to convert it to a fixed wheel - some lugs had bee removed. The frame was renovated by Trevor Jarvis himself and was converted to 700c wheels from 27".

I think it's a beautiful design. Not everyone agrees....

gate.jpg

Think I might have posted this before, but here's a picture of our Trevor Jarvis Flying Fence http://www.picturebay.net/img/members/Cyclemagic/flyingfence.jpg

bonj2

very nice
I'm tempted to lump it in the category of "bikes with the wrong number of tubes" but it's actually not that bad. I don't think it's particularly pretty over again a normal DF bike but it's not particularly offensive.
The orange-with-black-everything-else is a good colour scheme.

Is the saddle not tilting too far back though?

THe brakes are massive! probably fairly powerful?

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

bonj said:
very nice
I'm tempted to lump it in the category of "bikes with the wrong number of tubes" but it's actually not that bad. I don't think it's particularly pretty over again a normal DF bike but it's not particularly offensive.
The orange-with-black-everything-else is a good colour scheme.

Is the saddle not tilting too far back though?

THe brakes are massive! probably fairly powerful?

The colour choice was influenced by my last bike build based upon a 10 year old but unused Dave Yates frame which was a lot louder orange than it appeared to be on Ebay. All the bits that I used to complete it were cheap end of run 9 speed Shimano 105, and Tiagra bits with the exception of the Sora mech. I also Had wheels built around black Mavic rims and would have used black spokes had they been available in 13g - I'm porky and I can destroy lighter constructed rear wheels with not a lot of effort.

The saddle was tilted back and was corrected before using it for the first time.

The brakes are Tektro 520 froggleg cyclo cross cantilevers and yes, they are powerful, they have a much better mechanical advantage, and I feel a lot more confident on descents knowing that they can bring the bike and me to a halt in a much shorter distance than the standard touring cantis can. I'm about to fit them to my Dawes Galaxy too.

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

Aperitif said:
That is a mighty bike Vernon - befitting a man of your descriptive talents. Now get out and give us one of your entertaining reports of your adventures!

Well done. And I think it is pretty too.

Not being one to waste an opportunity:

Ride report.

Having completed the build of the Flying Gate the day before, I chose to road test it fully on an Audax ride with a few extra miles thrown in for good measure.

The build of the bike had not been without some frustrations.
The sources of cheap new 9 speed Tiagra and 105 components had all but disappeared and 9 speed Sora was way more expensive than the higher spec discontinued stuff. I found some OEM eight speed STI levers and bars taken from an EBC tourer on Ebay and bought the whole shooting matche which then initaited the next problem - locating a 1" quill to ahead converter. My LBS couln't source one and I finally got one from another LBS who could. I was sold the wrong Octaling BB and nearly wrecked my chain set trying to fit it onto the wider splines of what turned out to be an MTB octalink BB. Wiggle to the rescue - they weren't the source of the blunder tho'. A leading mail order outfit lost my order for mudguards and front mech and took three weeks to deliver the wrong mech and a further five days to resolve the problem.

Back to the bike. On the day of completion I took it on a short tour of our crescent which has a substantial roundabout in it several laps later I was happy that everything works as it should and went over all the fixings for a final tightening.

The morning of the ride augered well. Cool and overcast and a half marathon going past the end of the road that had sufficient gaps between the runners to allow me to get out; unlike the cars and their owners. The bike felt OK immediately. I'd set it up to match my Galaxy and Dave Yates bikes as closely as possible. The ride to the start of my 100km audax at Otley was unremarkable but it felt faster. It was - 50 minutes instead of the 55 minutes that it hasd taken me a couple of months earlier.

The audax used an identical route that I'd ridden my Dave Yates bike on so a direct comparison of saddle time would be possible. I always enjoy the first bit of the ride from Otley to the A61 - it tends to be fastish but this time the gentle climb through Huby felt different. Trevor Jarvis had told me that I'd find hills easier and I was sceptical but the hills did feel easier - I was either fitter or the stiffer rear triangle was tranmitting more of my effort to the rear wheel as claimed by the original makers of the frames.

One minor problem manifested itself. As I'm very porky I use a 26 tooth granny ring on my 105 chain sets and the one that I obtained was not dished like the 30 tooth one that i'd removed. This made changing to the granny ring a hit and miss affair with the cahin sometimes ending up resting on the BB lug. I think that I can sort it with a set of washers to alter the spacing of the rings.

I located a new source of pies at Ripley. The shop's next to the ice cream parlour sells tasty pies though not as tasty as the ones sold by the shop next to the cafe at Ripley Castle. In both instances the prices are elevated northwards of unreasonable. Pie, pop and crisps - £3.20!

Pressing on through Ripon and on towards Thirsk I was passed by a sucession of classic cars; AC Cobras, Lagondas, nearly the full model range of the MG marque and the more mundane Lotus Cortinas and the like they made an unremarkable bit of the route more interesting.

The weird bit of the journey happened just short of Northallerton. I was overtaken by a car which then cut infront of me and pulled into a layby just ahead of me. Strapped to the back of the car was a Baines Flying Gate!. I pulled in behind the car and tapped on the the driver's window. He thought that i was cross with him until he saw thatmy gesticulations were to do with the bike that I was riding and the bike stuck on the back of his car.

We had a ten minute chat about bikes - he has 120 collectables and here's some of the weird bits - he was from my home town of Darlington. He was surprised that I knew about one of the lesser known marques that he owns; Tilstons of Thornaby and he, I am sure, is after the same Bates bike that I am chasing from a place not too far from Darlington though I didn't let on.

Comparing the ancient (1952) and modern version (1983) of the bike, the Baines looked more petit with the rear stays being truer to the pencil stay designs than my version is. The forks were also more slender and the cahinset looked much lighter. The bike was finished in a brownish maroon.

The remainder of the ride was an anticlimax and I got to Darlington in good time for my train back to Leeds. Looking at my ride records, I found that I'd pared 1/2 hour of the saddle time for the route - pretty impressive. Moreover I felt fresh and could have gone on.

A great day out with very pleasant first impressions of my newest toy.

bonj2

vernon said:
:biggrin: How did he jig that up?

How is it cabled up?

Can you get cables that reach from the front to the back?

dunno about inner but my LBS sells outer on reels and they just pull off whatever length you want. so presumably they could have a length that long

bonj2

vernon said:
I located a new source of pies at Ripley.

forgot all about the new bike half way into the route then;)

bonj2

vernon said:
with the cahin sometimes ending up resting on the BB lug.

a deda dog fang can apparently prevent this.
PM ColinJ, he knows where to get them from (that gets him commission)

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

bonj said:
forgot all about the new bike half way into the route then;)

I never forget a good pie shop ;)

Top of my list at the moment is the pork and blackpudding pies from Clapham. I last had one on a three pie ride with a collegue which included pies from Fagley, Bradford; Clapham as served at the Station Inn at Ribblehead and Taylor's of Darlington as sold at Elijahs in Hawes.

In the supermarkets; the handmoulded pork pies sold by Morrisons take some beating.

For sheer choice of pastry coated pork treats, Coopers in Northallerton and the deli in Helmsley takes some beating....

Top Bottom