Triathlon wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Here's a stupid question to demonstrate my lack of mechanical knowledge.

I've recently upgraded my road bike to one of these:

https://www.tifosicycles.co.uk/shop/bikes/aurigadisc/

Bought for a very good price on facebook marketplace.

I want to use this for Triathlons and have been thinking about an upgraded carbon aero wheelset, just for racing.

My bike has though hubs (is that what they're called?) which unfasten with an allen key (unlike the quick release hubs I've been used to). My question is, does that limit the type of wheels I can buy or are all hubs adaptable? Which hubs do I need to look for if i'm buying a second hand wheelset on FB marketplace?

Second question - I see wheels can be quite expensive (!!), any recommendations for reasonably priced wheels that will provide a good step up in performance on race day but which won't cost more than the bike!

Thanks

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
That's a nice bike. The wheels are thru axle type and you could be looking at a deep section front wheel plus either a deep section rear with cover (such as an EZ Disc) or a rear disc wheel.

What's your budget? Time trial wheels for triathlon use can get expensive. And particularly so for disc brake versions as they've not trickled down to the budget end.

Also, if you're doing triathlons I'm presuming you're putting clip-on aero bars on? They will save a similar amount of time. As will a TT helmet, a skinsuit and shaving your legs. Do triathletes do the 'shaved legs' thing? Or is it just road and track cyclists?

This, whilst not perfect, gives you a guide as to how to save time if you've not come across it: https://www.roadbikerider.com/cycling-aerodynamics-time-savings/

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Cap_Scarlet

Veteran
That's a nice bike. The wheels are thru axle type and you could be looking at a deep section front wheel plus either a deep section rear with cover (such as an EZ Disc) or a rear disc wheel.

What's your budget? Time trial wheels for triathlon use can get expensive. And particularly so for disc brake versions as they've not trickled down to the budget end.

Also, if you're doing triathlons I'm presuming you're putting clip-on aero bars on?

Thanks

So if they're thru axle does that restrict what I can buy? i.e. I assume a quick release will not be compatible or are there adapters?

My budget is not fixed yet but I'd ideally spend around £500-600 although no point spending if I'm not going to get material gains.

Yes, I've already got clip on aero bars although have not used them outdoors yet!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@Cap_Scarlet - yes, if they're thru axle it will mean you need wheels for thru axles.

My suggestion would be a deep section carbon set, probably Chinese Novatec / Light Bicycle at that price, and an EZ Disc cover for the rear.

Basically you're at the budget end for new carbon disc wheels or on the second-hand market for better ones. There are very few disc-brake thru-axle TT discs available second-hand though. If you're buying used I'd suggest eBay or there's a few time trial / triathlon buy and sell Facebook groups that are worth a try.

Last edited:
Top Bottom