Tricross or tricross sport disc?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Immonimo

Hey guys, I am new to the forum :smile:

I have been cycling for ages now but I it was always only for pleasure and on a very amateur level. I want to take it to next step now and I would like to start with buying a proper bike.

I will use the bike mostly for weekend cycling, probably around 50ish miles a go, on top of that I want to participate in some triathlons this summer (only to finish it, I don't really care for times at this point). I also enjoy road trips, so the bike needs to handle pannier bags.

After visiting the shop Specialized Tricross caught my eye. The only problem being - I don't know whether I should pick the basic model or the wee bit better one.

I'd prefer to pick the cheaper one, but if the disc brakes are worth it, I don't mind paying more. The issue is though that I don't know that they are worth it, I read quite a few versatile opinions on this matter and I would gladly hear some more feedback from more experienced cyclists.

Here's the link to the specs:
http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bikes/multi-use/tricross

Thanks,
Martin

D

Deleted member 23692

Riding both road (rim brake) and MTB (disc brake), I honestly can't see one favourable factor for rim rakes, apart from them weighing less.

Given the choice, I'd have discs every time

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
No doubt they are nice bikes but they look like the frame finish design bod had a day off - most boring looking bikes on the planet.

Rim brakes are fine if they are mini-v's. Canti's are generally poor and prone to shudder. Discs work well but can be subject to rubbing and howling.

Blurb

Über Member
I have the 2012 Tricross Sport Disc and I'm very happy with it as an all rounder. The discs are better than the cantis on the standard Tricross IMO, but they are BB5s and they get mixed reviews. Although I can't fault their stopping power they do need to be fiddled with to set up to minimise noise.
The standard Tricross is also a triple chainring which you may or may not prefer.
I bought mine as a "last year's model" so it was reduced and made my choice easier.

OP
OP
I

Immonimo

Thanks guys, I decided to go for the basic model. I don't think I want some cheap disc brakes. Besides, this way I can still buy some extra stuff :smile:

Top Bottom