Tried out my turbo trainer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sam Kennedy

Tried out my turbo for the first time today, the cable snapped straight away (it was really frayed, so I'm not surprised, it just looks like a normal brake cable)

I still managed to get a good hard workout done. I originally intended to see what each heart rate zone felt like, but I found myself doing interval training.

I found a very fine line between 88% and 90%, 88% feels hard but not uncomfortable, 90% feels hard and uncomfortable, 92% feels really hard and very uncomfortable.

I'm guessing my LT is between 88-92%, but I'm not exactly sure where.
If someone could enlighten me that would be great :smile:

Garz

Squat Member
I got a new HRM (wrist-watch) as a xmas present so am too gonna enjoy playing with HRZ's in the new year. Glad your enjoying your new prezzies!

aka0019

I think i'm going to invest in a turbo. I got rollers for xmas which are great but I want to be able to go all out and can't on rollers without going flying! Have been on for an hour today though and it was hard work. Good for tecnique and cadence but like I said can't go all out on it.

zacklaws

Guru
I had a quick workout last night on mine, 20 min warmup, followed by a cadence of 95rpm, for 12 minutes on the big ring, and every two minutes change up a gear to test my heart rate. Seconds into the cool down my back wheel started clicking and the tyre went flat, a Specialized Armadillo elite.

No idea what happened, the tyre was cold so it had not overheated, but the tyre had clearly delaminated. And never had no problems before with that tyre on the turbo before.

After work I took my tyre off and found my inner tube had punctured from a piece of flint that was in bedded in the tyre. As for causing the tyre to delaminate I have no idea. It was interesting though that when I checked the tyre how many pieces of stone and flint that there was stuck in the tyre that had gone through the Kevlar belt and was hardly noticable without careful examination, begining to think these Armadillo's are not as good as I thought

jasonmccullum

Über Member
i got about 15 workout videos for the turbo...make the world of difference. everything from 1 hours burns to 3 hours rides.......excellent this time of year... i advise you to get one to help stop the boredom of the trainer

OP
OP
Sam Kennedy

Sam Kennedy

I just spent the last 90 or so minutes playing around with my bike (yes, I have nothing better to do at 1am!) ;)

I also did some calculations. While I was doing my LT training, I maxed out at 39x12 @ 90rpm. According to Sheldon Brown, this is just a tad under 23mph. However, my turbo cable snapped, and I am stuck with training up hill, at a guess, I would say 3%. So I'm now wondering if I could average 25mph in a time trial.... :smile:

montage

God Almighty
Sam Kennedy said:
I just spent the last 90 or so minutes playing around with my bike (yes, I have nothing better to do at 1am!) ;)

I also did some calculations. While I was doing my LT training, I maxed out at 39x12 @ 90rpm. According to Sheldon Brown, this is just a tad under 23mph. However, my turbo cable snapped, and I am stuck with training up hill, at a guess, I would say 3%. So I'm now wondering if I could average 25mph in a time trial.... :biggrin:

ey?

for TT practise just make sure you practise on the tri-bars in that aero position.

23mph sounds good, and I am sure you can build on that to get 26/27mph by the end of this season if you work hard enough, never mind 25mph....Decided on TTs or Road racing yet?

Bill Gates

Sam Kennedy said:

I also did some calculations. While I was doing my LT training, I maxed out at 39x12 @ 90rpm. According to Sheldon Brown, this is just a tad under 23mph. However, my turbo cable snapped, and I am stuck with training up hill, at a guess, I would say 3%. So I'm now wondering if I could average 25mph in a time trial.... :biggrin:

23mph on the turbo or on the road?.............and for how long?

Maxed out at 39x12 @90rpm. Do you mean that you hit your MHR or you couldn't go any faster effort wise or you couldn't pedal any faster?

If on the turbo then who knows what that equates to on the road. There's only one way to find out and that's to try it on the road.

Top Bottom