Trigger shifters - thinking of going from Index to friction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just thinking out loud here and really, really not a mechanic.

My bike was originally fitted with a 7 speed freewheel which I have changed out to be a 7 speed cassette for touring.
Along the way, due to Covid supply issues I've interchanged between 7 and 8 speed cassettes, utilising a spacer and/or removing a cog. It works, if not perfectly all the time.
I'd prefer to swap the "focus" from 7 to 8 speed (7 speed cassettes with a good granny gear are getting harder to find) while keeping the flexibility to use a 7 speed in a pinch. (Granny gears are the most important in my world).
Unfortunately, that will mean changing out my combined Ezi shifters from 7 speed to 8 - which I can't find anywhere.

Screenshot 2023-10-28 09.35.56.png
So, it looks like I'll be needing a different brake/gear setup.
If I'm doing that, I'm considering dropping the index gearing and just going for friction. That will make possible changeovers from 7-8 speed easier and more efficient in use.

The bike is more than a quarter century old, a reliable workhorse and is used for everything. Its real function is to be able to bring me on long, loaded tours where simplicity, ease of adjustment and repair are prized attributes.

I'd appreciate any input from the more mechanically minded as to the benefits or pitfalls of my plan.

Thanks in advance.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not sure you an get non-indexed shifters other than thumb levers. I still run 7 speed on my commuter (3x7), and literally just drop a sprocket, and still use the 3mm spacers off the 8 speed. Works perfectly. I usually put 4-5mm of spacers on the cassette first. Loads of cassetteds available, and haven't come across any you can't split (sometimes a dremmel is needed. You are unlikely to wear out a granny geat as often as the ones in the middle, and should that time come, a wide range 8 speed cassette can still be split (you may need to buy two, but Sunrace and Microshift ones are cheap).

chriswoody

Legendary Member
There's a wide range of shifters, 7 and 8 speed in the Holland Bike shop:

https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/bicycle-parts/gears/shifters-sport/

Grip shift style shifters are also maybe worth considering?

What about going all the way up to 9 speed? if your hub will take 8 speed then it should be able to also take 9 speed. I converted my old Dawes Galaxy from 7 to 9 speed, with a triple up front. It gave me a really nice range of touring gears with a super low granny gear all the way to a nice high gear. 9 speed stuff is easy to get hold off and fairly cheap.

a.twiddler

Veteran
HollandBikeShop have a lot of interesting stuff, and I've bought from them in previous years, but it currently looks as if they don't ship to the UK.
Presumably another Brexit benefit, the gift that keeps on giving.

All uphill

Still rolling along

What about going all the way up to 9 speed? if your hub will take 8 speed then it should be able to also take 9 speed. I converted my old Dawes Galaxy from 7 to 9 speed, with a triple up front. It gave me a really nice range of touring gears with a super low granny gear all the way to a nice high gear. 9 speed stuff is easy to get hold off and fairly cheap.

I'm a fan of 9 speed too.

But back to your question, I'd agree thumb shifters or bar end shifters are the way to go. Simple, strong and very reliable. If your bike falls into a muddy Marsh you can easily disassemble then, clean and reassemble them - try that with brake/shifters!

The other option might be down tube shifters.

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
Thanks all for the replies.
First, things, first, it seems there is nothing actually wrong with the idea. It will work to use a friction/thumb shifter.

Not sure you an get non-indexed shifters other than thumb levers.
Thumb shifers will suit me fine.
You are unlikely to wear out a granny geat as often as the ones in the middle
You clearly don't know me ^_^

There looks to be combined 3x8 sets available;
Thanks. I know that but that will mean switching out the front derailleur one too. The poor bike looks akin to a Frankenbike (and I love it that way) but even I would feel a little odd with mismatched gears/brakes ^_^

What about going all the way up to 9 speed?
Yep, I know the HBS. Grip shifters have always struck me as nasty and I'd imagine the mechanics are complicated? Simplicity is important for my sanity ^_^

However, 9 speed is even more interesting! I hadn't thought of that!!
A quick check shows that hubs are 8/9/10 speed compatible, so logisctically possible.
That opens up other conundrums in my non-mechanic head, namely the compatibility of the chainset? I'll check, but if anyone knows? I know it'll be a different chain.

Thinking aloud, a friction shifter would be compatible with all three options 7, 8 and 9 speed? Mind you, even for me and my desire for options that sounds a bit much! ^_^
SunTour made a thumb shifter for dual speed 7 and 8.
Thanks for that. Pricey!

it currently looks as if they don't ship to the UK.
Not an issue for me, since I'm in Spain. On the flip side, SJS have become more difficult and expensive to deal with for me.

If your bike falls into a muddy Marsh you can easily disassemble then, clean and reassemble them
Someone who understands my riding style ^_^
Seriously, though, I'm working on the idea that friction shifters are like "fire and forget". Other than replacing the cable there's very few adjustments to be made. Less moving parts so less to go wrong.

The other option might be down tube shifters.
That thought had crossed my mind but I have a pretty upright riding position and dropping down to change gears would get old pretty soon. Bar ends just trike me as a disaster waiting to happen if I tried to fit them to my straight handlebars.

Thanks to all for replying.

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
Just to close off the thread.....
I opted to upgrade to 8 speed, using trigger shifters. Surprisingly for me, the installation went well - or at least that part of it.
A bit surprised at the amount of plastic in the new "triggers" - not sure how well they will hold up long term given the abuse the old ones took.

Thanks to all who contributed.

Top Bottom