Trike vs bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Denis99

Über Member
Hi,

I have had a ride on a recumbent trike and enjoyed it. Found it very easy to ride due to the extra stability.

Having done a little research, I have wondered off to consider a recumbent bike.

Mainly for the speed advantage, although this isn't the only consideration, simpler bike over trike.

My main issue I suppose is getting the balance right, 63 years old, ridden since I was 8 years old.

classic33

Leg End Member
And you've to learn anew when you get a recumbent. The "biggest worry" of "will they see me" is quickly dismissed.

Why should age come into it? Enjoy the new bike/trike.

OP
OP
Denis99

Denis99

Über Member
Not too worried about being seen really, life is too short to worry.

More concerned about relearning to balance on a recumbent bike.

The trike looks very much like what I should go for , in terms of just getting my muscles used to a different type of cycling.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I have not ridden a recumbent bike as they look awkward to ride, I would love to try one, I like my trike very easy to ride no balance problems and don't have to unclip before stopping and great for shopping they are great load carries.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I recently learned to ride a recumbent, and it was like learning to ride a bicycle all over again. But once I got the hang of the balance being different, and the different muscle groups involved, it was smooth sailing.

All recumbent bike are different in how easy they are to ride.
Even two which look similar can be completely different as to how well you get on with them.
The basic rule of thumb is the lower they are and/or the more reclined the seat is, the more interesting they are to balance.
If you want to try a recumbent bike and see if you get one with one then contact ....

Kevin Dunseath.
Tel. 01353 648 177.
Email dtekhpvs@btconnect.com.
He's at Little Thetford near Ely.

You can arrange a session with him where you start with an easy bike and work your way to more "interesting" but faster bikes.
I've seen a session and it's probably worth it as you'll have a much better idea as to what will work for you.
Plus he's the person to contact about second hand recumbents.

Luck ........ :laugh:

simongt

Guru
Back in the day didn’t we call them barrows?
Indeed we did Pawl. Although a while back I was chatting to an auld manny who was riding one and he seemed a bit offended when I referred to his mount as a barrow - ! :eek:

classic33

Leg End Member
All recumbent bike are different in how easy they are to ride.
Even two which look similar can be completely different as to how well you get on with them.
The basic rule of thumb is the lower they are and/or the more reclined the seat is, the more interesting they are to balance.
If you want to try a recumbent bike and see if you get one with one then contact ....

Kevin Dunseath.
Tel. 01353 648 177.
Email dtekhpvs@btconnect.com.
He's at Little Thetford near Ely.

You can arrange a session with him where you start with an easy bike and work your way to more "interesting" but faster bikes.
I've seen a session and it's probably worth it as you'll have a much better idea as to what will work for you.
Plus he's the person to contact about second hand recumbents.

Luck ........ :laugh:
@Mr Magoo?

Top Bottom