Trike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tykus

Hi.

Looking for opinions really. I have seizures and have been saving for a while to buy a trike. I can't ride a bike as my balance isn't great so a trike it is.

My criteria:

Sub 1K - prefer it to be a LOT cheaper though if possible as I am currently not working..
It's my only means of transport so I have to be able to carry two small dogs (in panniers or basket on back). I can harness them in - they are well behaved so I'm not too worried about that.
Reliable - it has to last for years.
Not massive - I have a studio flat with a narrow door.
Future electric upgrade possible - I live in a rural area.

So far I have found the KMX range - the man there said I would fit on the Kompact R - I'm a bit concerned my butt won't fit in the seat though lol...Im five foot five.

Or the upright folding trikes you find everywhere which look really heavy but are cheap and fold up.

I'm not worried about appearance or cool factor. I need mobility and transport. I'm not fit yet either so.....

Scratching head....

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Secondhand TRICE Q. Should be able to find one in the £700-1000 range, depending on age and what comes with it. Rear wheel folds, but you'll likely have to remove the seat (quick-release levers) to get through the door.

Upright trikes are a different beast to bicycles and not necessarily the answer that you think.

Due to the setup and road footprint they can be heavily affected by camber, a pull to one side that needs to be corrected. Even so it can be unexpected and at first you can find yourself wandering all over the place.

Recumbent trikes are less affected, but it can still be an issue for beginners

You will need to try and make sure this is what you need.

Then to the KMX......

They are reliable machines, but a little "industrial" in manufacture. However they do take a trailer.

You may be better with a trip to D Tek and look at a second hand Trice or similar

OP
OP
T

Tykus

This has been very useful thankyou for the replies. I'll see if I can get down to Thetford soon :smile:

OP
OP
T

Tykus

Oh yes. For storage it's great but I seem to have the smallest door in the world (68cm passage) so I wouldn't even get it through the door! But thankyou for looking :smile:

Top Bottom