Trikes are crap, video evidence enclosed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Of course they're not crap, they're awesome but.......dear God they're bloomin' slow. These vids show my morning commute on the Bacchetta Strada (left) and Ice Trice (right). I tried to do a 'proper' vid, but tbh it seemed waaaay too complicated so this youtube doubler does a half decent job for no effort on my part. Although the vids don't always start bang on sync, which destroys the awesome StreetHawk theme tune!

http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?video1=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNNwF23kusg&start1=&video2=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOSvAV1hy9c&start2=0&authorName=meahwahwah

The trike is 36 seconds slower on video, so times 16 (the video speed) means it takes me 9m 36s longer than on the Strada over the 11.5 mile commute. I now ride one week on/one week off between the 2 'bents, but despite the slower ride, I have to say I'm looking forward to it being the Ices turn next week!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV

You are, however, comparing a performance bike with a touring trike. That said, I agree trikes are slower but perhaps more fun? It would be interesting to do a DF / Strada comparison. Back when I had all 3 I generally found my Corsa was fastest. The Giro 20 about 1-2 kph slower for the same perceived effort (more comfy though!) and the ICE Q about 1-2 kph slower again.

There also appeared to be more red lights on the Trike Trip.

I know that on my commute the lights can make a difference of 5 -6 minutes

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I thoroughly enjoy the Trice, as it's comfy, I get (mostly) friendly comments, and it's a relaxing ride. The Strada is a heck of a lot faster, almost as comfy, but gets more negative comments, and I find myself pushing a lot harder, and getting more stressed when I'm forced to slow for traffic lights/traffic etc.

I need a middle ground machine. A fast trike, but not too extreme. An Ice Vortex.

sunnyjim

I thoroughly enjoy the Trice, as it's comfy, I get (mostly) friendly comments, and it's a relaxing ride. The Strada is a heck of a lot faster, almost as comfy, but gets more negative comments, and I find myself pushing a lot harder, and getting more stressed when I'm forced to slow for traffic lights/traffic etc.

I need a middle ground machine. A fast trike, but not too extreme. An Ice Vortex.
^_^^_^^_^
If only they made a version not quite so bling-y I'd have trouble keeping the wallet shut.

markg0vbr

Über Member
catrike speed a lot lighter than my ice.
toe in, tyres and how much air you put in make a big difference on the trike.
the high racer is faster up hill but i go up hills in the cat i would not attempt on the high racer. cars come a lot closer to the high racer as well.

you dont have nice steep hills so it will be down aerodynamics a tail box and disc wheels on the trike should even it up a bit.

Top Bottom