Trikes on tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jags

Guru
they look great but, they must be a killer when the road starts to rise.
are they harder to control compared to the normal road bike.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Good pics. I'm taking my trike on a solo 2.5 week tour in May, staying at B&Bs/hotels, with 3 rear panniers and two Radical Sidepods. Hoping it'll all fit in OK, should do. I'll take some pics of laden trike by the Rhein/Mosel in due course!

And jags, they're easier to control compared to a normal road bike as you can't fall off or have the wheels slip from underneath you.

OP
OP
Redmountduo

Redmountduo

Veteran
Not a problem on hills..just different.
Lowest gear is around 10 inches, so can go up anything.
Ventoux was no problem, just took a bit longer than an upright.
Col du Menee was beautiful and enjoyable even though fully loaded and HOT!!
Handling is superb and great fun downhill, i chicken out way before the trike gives me any concern.
Best day fully loaded was 135 miles, so they can be very good touring machines.

jags

Guru
thanks folks for that,you dont see a lot of trike's or bent's in my part of the world,my main concern is weight ,but if you guy's say there great,good enough for me thanks.
is there a favourate trike to buy ,what kind of money are we talking about here.only window shopping mind.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Favourites probably down to personal opinion! I tried a few and love the Trice Q (made by ICE - Inspired Cycle Engineering - in the UK). Several people rate the Catrikes, distributed by Catrike UK of this forum. There are loads of others though. Expect to pay £1,500 or above for a decent one. KMX Trikes are great fun and much cheaper but less suitable for regular on-road use.

OP
OP
Redmountduo

Redmountduo

Veteran
My wife and i both have Redmount rollers. These are out of production at the moment due to the sad loss of the origanal manufacturer Mike Allen. A truly great guy.
Watch this space as they will most probably be going into production again shortly.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
After having a quick spin on Helen's trike last saturday

I WANT ONE!!!

Cullin

Über Member
On Tour a la France.

2h5o7x2.jpg

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Do you ride trikes/bents because you can't, for some reason, ride conventional bikes or is it a positive preference?

Top Bottom