TriMoly Construction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
When the frame is described as this' TriMoly Construction ' what does it mean and is it aluminium.....
Cheers
Roy

It's made up marketing department technobabble. Take no heed.

Chromoly is short for Chromium/ Molebdynum, aka Chro-mo aka Chromo aka 4130. It refers to the two materials used in a type of alloy steel commonly used in cycle frames.

Ahem, this is funny. I had a big influence in the design and spec of the Kona Smoke. I told them they should make it, what it should cost, the colour and the spec. I was more than a little surprised when one showed up at the bike shop a few months later exactly as I had envisioned it.

It's a chromoly steel frame.

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Ha, no better person then to answer these :evil:
Right, I take it then you would recommend the bike. Has it a light frame?
I bought a Sirrus 2 weeks ago but have the wrong size frame, a mate is getting a bike about this price so I might get him to get this and do a straight swap, as my sirrus will fit him and I can get him to get this in large. Don't ask....
It would be used for a 15 mile round commute and the odd longer weekend ride, would it be suitable?
Cheers
Roy

Essentially it's a throwback to a simpler age when mountain bikes had no suspension and used steel frames. An old skool mountain bike is a wonderful thing, with just a change of tyres it'll cope with just about any terrain you might throw it at, commuter during the week and proper off road trails at the weekend. 'Hybrids' can't do both in spite of what the marketing folks claim because they cannot take a fat, high volume knobbly off road tyre.

It doesn't have a light frame by modern standards, steel frames are (usually) heavier than aluminum frames. But. Steel frames are cheaper to produce which means that for a given price-point you'll get better parts than you would on an alu frame, they are easier to repair and some people claim, myself included, believe that the ride quality is better.

When you consider that a complete bike at this price point weighs between 27 and 30lbs, and the frame alone weighs between 4 and 7lbs, the frame weight isn't a huge factor. My Mrs's bike has a similar (Kona) frame which has seen several years of gradual upgrades and weighs about 25lbs all up. Which is a pretty good weight for a mountain bike.

With a change of tyres to some 1.3 or 1.5in slicks it'll cope very well with a 15 mile commute.

It's what I designed it for!

Watch out for the 2008 model, they ruined it by making it a 'twenty niner' and somehow made it heavier.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
I've got a feeling that Trimoly refers to a frame where the 3 main tubes (top/down/seat) are made of cro-mo, but the stays and head tube may be a different type of steel (e.g. hi-tensile).

Top Bottom