Trip London - Pisa advice needed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NerfMiester

Hi All, Some advice would be much appreciated. We (two friends and I) are planning a London - Pisa Via Paris approx 1000 miles next year (may June) to raise money for our Kids Football club. We plan 80 miles a day.

1st off bike choice, I have a reasonable audex/sportif bike in a Focus Ergoride, triple chainset compact frame, which i could change to make even more comfortable (stem riser, better seat, susp seat post, wider handlebars etc) or I have a mountain bike which would be stronger, but heavier with smaller wheels, which i could change the forks to rigids and put on slicks etc. Any comments welcome.

Secondly, route accross the Alps. Should we go accross or go round by going to the south of france (never a bad destination) and along the coast road. I wouldn't mind a crack at the alps however I don't want it to spoil our trip. What does anyone think would be a realistic milage on the way up. We are all in our late 30s early 40s relativly fit with a year to get fitter.

Lastly any training tips, I am currently in the gym to shed pounds and build muscle mass and improve cardio. I will get back on the bike when weather improves a little.

Thanks for any help.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
How far can you already rid ein a day witha loaded bike?

By June (assuming regular riding) you will be able to exceed that figure easily assuming reasonable weather and no majour change in terrain.

I dont know about the alps, but I do know that a reasonably flatish route south takes you via Lyon and down the rhone valley. Avoid Lyon, go around (i went to the east of it) then you no longer need to navigate...just follow the river until you fall into the med... I had a tail winds from Lyon to the coast. Stay away from Montpellier is my advice...

xilios

Veteran
Hi, I would suggest you get on the Rhine to Basel, than Zurich, Chur, Thusis, at Splugen turn left and go over the Splugen pass to lake Como and from there you can head streight south to the Ligurian Sea and on to Pisa.
I've done it in '05 and can say it is easy and very scenic, but on the Italian side you need to take your time, be very carefull as it is quite steep.
Another plus is the camping at Andeer, its very good, they also have a couple of rooms and its also located about 25kms from the pass. It gives your legs a few kms to warm up befor the climb.
Some pictures and journal in our page below.
cheers

jay clock

Massive member
Lucky sod!

Regarding the bike, the Focus sounds fine if a little lightweight. Key question is whether it will take a rack. If not, you are severely restricted in my view

The MTB might be ok, but the cost of changing the forks may be high, and by putting rigid forks on, the front of the frame will be lower. Next issue is that MTB wheels are smaller in diameter, so the heel clearance may be a problem. (ie, when your foot is at the rearmost point, will it hit the panniers). This can be an issue on some bike (and may be even your Focus).

If you can overcome all those issues, use one of those bikes. If not, if you plan future tours, get a new or 2nd hand tourer.

Final idea is this: I have 6 bikes and one of the very best is an allrounder I got from Halfords - Carerra Subway 1. ABout £170. I have upgraded lots of parts on mine, but I can get panniers on it, it does not have suspension, and I have done 60+ miles in a day on road with no probs. At that price you have a useful hack for when you get back.

Re the route, I would do the Alps if you aim to get fit. The SOuth of France coastal route is hilly ( I lived there) and the coast once over into Italy is very hilly and very busy little roads.

For training, get out there and do little and often. Then do more. Practice with your panniers on. Go on a weekend trip with all your kit (if camping, camp, if planning to do hotels, stay in a hotel)

I would not wait for the weather to change. Just get out there and get a few miles in.

Finally, see here for inspiration and advice www.crazyguyonabike.com

OP
OP
N

NerfMiester

Just to clarify , we will be staying at Hotels or B&Bs not camping.
As for the bike I am expecting it to take a rack by using a seatpost adapter and two holes neat the rear hub. I will be travelling light, I am an expert packer as I travel with my job and I know how to survive with little and as we are at hotels I expect they will ok places to wash and dry each night something.

samid

Guru
Unless you're planning to travel off-road, a road bike is better (faster, more comfortable) for road riding than an MTB. You say your bike is an "audax" - hence I assume it can be fitted with not too skinny tires (28mm wide or so).

jay clock

Massive member
So the Focus sounds fine then. You should easily be able to carry enough stuff. Having done exacly what you are doing (lightweight + hotels), I would recommend 2 sets of cycling kit (one one, one off) and one set of off bike kit including a light fleece. Shoes are an area of compromise - if you can manage with what you wear to cycle in as the only shoes, then great. If not, go as light as poss. I have these http://www.rubbersole.co.uk/sanuk_sidewalk_surfer_blender_tan which I can walk in for a fair distance, are very comfy, and very light. I would add arm and leg warmers, a decent rain jacket and some long fingered gloves in case the Alps are chilly. If it is 25deg at the coast, it could easily be 12 deg high up, and if doing that downhill in the rain, you will be chilly very fast. I now have some hiviz gilets which offer quite a bit of chest protection so will probably take one of those next time too

With regards washing stuff
I expect they will ok places to wash and dry each night something.
- if you imagine that means washing machines, very unlikely. I wash my stuff by hand, roll in my hotel towel to remove as much as possible, and then hang up to dry. If still not bone dry in the morning, then peg them on handlebars or rack. Hotel hairdryers can also be useful, partic for socks which can dry in seconds!

OP
OP
N

NerfMiester

jay clock said:
in as the only shoes, then great. If not, go as light as poss. I have these http://www.rubbersole.co.uk/sanuk_sidewalk_surfer_blender_tan which I can walk in for a fair distance, are very comfy, and very light......

With regards washing stuff - if you imagine that means washing machines, very unlikely. I wash my stuff by hand, roll in my hotel towel to remove as much as possible, and then hang up to dry. If still not bone dry in the morning, then peg them on handlebars or rack. Hotel hairdryers can also be useful, partic for socks which can dry in seconds!

Thanks for the advice there are some great tips, esp shoes. I am going to pack two sets of cycling clothes, one set of civvies, as for warm wear you raise a very good point regarding the Alps, I have been at 1600m at +10C when it has been +40C at sea level.

As for washing I am going to rely on the great washing machine of the shower and hotel soap to wash and rinse, as for drying I am indebted to you on the towel trick and I love the hairdryer and sock one!;)

I am getting quite worried about the route accross the alps as it looks like some serious climbing, (I'm originally from the east anglian Fens where we had a place called Flagrass hill at 4ft above sea level!). However I have 16 months to train and now live near north wales so some spring trainging comming on I feel.

I think it will be the Focus plus a few mods to make it a little more comfortable on this old body.

Thanks for all the replies, any good routes out there?

Willow

you building a stadium or something then? :ohmy:

Top Bottom