Trouble shifing to smallest chainring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jeltz

Veteran
Sorry I'm sure its been asked before but I couldn't pull it up on a search.

My triple is having a little trouble shifting to the smallest chain ring. I think its most likely cable tension rather than H/L settings.

Could someone remind me if it would typically need tightening or loosening (using barrel adjuster) to resolve.

I_S

I'm suffering the same after changing the cassette, chain & chain rings. When the tension is removed from the front cable the mech will change down.

OP
OP
jeltz

jeltz

Veteran
The bikes only a few weeks old, mail order so not an option to pop back to the shop :smile:

The LBS would be happy enough to look at it, but I figure its something I ought to know.

Trumpettom001

If all the other gears are in good order, then I'd have said that it's the L-H limit screws...
Try:

loosening the H screw, by about half a turn, see if it makes a difference. If not then re-tighten it by half a turn, and twist the barrel adjuster clockwise seen from the outer cable's point of view, and see if this helps..

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had the same problem recently. I fixed it by rotating the front (band-on) derailleur a few degrees clockwise (looking down on it). I overdid it at first and then I couldn't get the chain up to the big ring. I've found a position in between which seems to work well enough.

tandemman

don't try slackening off the band on type mech unless you are on the smallest chainwheel or cable tension will pull it down the seat tube

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Do what i did when i had problem.
Either, dont change down or, unclip your left foot and give it a kick;)

But seriously, put it on the small sprocket, and see how much slack you have, if theres loads then just take up the slack.
If theres not much slack, then move the widget and it should flop on the wonger.

Top Bottom