Trouble with one rear cog

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RWright

Guru
I am having problems with my bike shifting onto the fourth from the smallest cog on my cassette. I have adjusted and lubed all the cables and made sure everything seems to be working properly with them. I reset the limit screws and reindexed and got it very close to working correctly tweaking the barrell adjuster but then it just seems to keep doing it again. I can not get it dialed perfectly in.

It does it on any of the front rings. It does go from lower gear to high better, but sometimes even gets hung moving from the larger to smaller cogs. Down shifting and going from small to larger cogs it is worse, most of the time requiring me to press the shifter twice to get on it, then it will jump over it to the cog above.

It is a Shimano EZ fire plus shifter with a pull trigger for shifting to higher gears and a thumb shifter to move to lower gears. The rear derailleur is a Shimano Tourney. The cassette looks ok to me but I am not an experienced or trained mechanic and I have no means that I am aware of other than visual inspection for diagnosis. I am hoping not to have to change the cassette as this one only has about 1000 miles on it.

Any ideas on what else I might try would be appreciated.

OP
OP
RWright

RWright

Guru
After a closer look I think my cage is bent. I am going to try and work with that and see how it goes.

Top Bottom