Trued my wheel - when riding wobbles around :-(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_dombat

My wheel (700c fixed gear) was buckled (not too badly) after a driver drove into it last night (smidsy), it had perhaps just under 1cm bend off centre over 1/6th of the wheel.

I managed to true it last night (first time ever, using a web, sellotape and a pen).

Some spokes are now very tight while some seem too loose. It is straight though!

When riding, it feels like the wheel is all over the place - the bike is vibrating.

Is this because the loose spokes aren't doing their job so the wheel is bending under load (I'm a fatty at 105kg)?

Is it a lost cause or should I loosen the side that is very tight and tighten the loose side by an equal amount and see what happens?

bobg

Über Member
mr_dombat said:
My wheel (700c fixed gear) was buckled (not too badly) after a driver drove into it last night (smidsy), it had perhaps just under 1cm bend off centre over 1/6th of the wheel.

I managed to true it last night (first time ever, using a web, sellotape and a pen).

Some spokes are now very tight while some seem too loose. It is straight though!

When riding, it feels like the wheel is all over the place - the bike is vibrating.

Is this because the loose spokes aren't doing their job so the wheel is bending under load (I'm a fatty at 105kg)?

Is it a lost cause or should I loosen the side that is very tight and tighten the loose side by an equal amount and see what happens?

Forgive me it this sounds daft but are the cones properly adjusted??

jimboalee

Tips of the trade.

Don't try to pull the bend out with spoke tension.

Get a sandbag and do the reverse of what the car did before you tension the spokes.

You had what's called a 'potato crisp',,, and don't let the yanks tell you its a 'potato chip wheel'. Heaven forbid you are told its called a 'Pringled rim' :smile:

mr_dombat said:

Sorry but you need a new wheel NOW you can fix it as is posted above But it is a boge job and no one can say when and if it will give out on you!.

If you can get the same rim you can tape them together and try and move the hub/spokes over?

But you old rim na get rid.

OP
OP
M

mr_dombat

I'll get a new wheel and then play with the old one as a learning experience (loosen all the spokes and see what shape I get).

I did get the impression is was on the verge of collapse when rode about 100 metres this morning!

Think I'll walk to work tomorrow!

Globalti

Legendary Member
You could buy a new rim then tape the new alongside the old and transfer the spokes over one by one. This isn't a bad way to get your first experience of tensioning and trueing a wheel. If it all goes wrong you can just loosen all the spokes and hand it to a professional to finish off.

jimboalee

The problem with the 'taping' method of a spoke transfer operation is:-

Be VERY careful not to scratch the new rim with the spoke threaded ends.:evil:

It is a good method.

Another thing. When you thread the nipples on, be sure to thread them all on the same distance. I use a special tool which looks like a flat blade screwdriver with a peg in the centre.
If all the nipples are equi distant, tensioning will be oh so much easier.:smile:

OP
OP
M

mr_dombat

Anyone know anywhere that sells/builds track/fixed wheels?

Planet-x/on-one only do pairs at £106. I've already got 2 front wheels and don't want another!

jimboalee

mr dombat.

Fred Williams

Top Bottom