Trying new cogs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kloeshuman

So today I decided to swap out my 17t cog for a 15t cog, what a change. Just 2 teeth down took me from 69.8 inches to 79.1 inches, next I'm going to go two teeth the other way and see how that treats me for hills. Im trying to find that happy in between. A 19t would make hills nice but I sure wouldn't get anywhere fast on flat ground. I guess thats part of riding a single speed, give up one for the other and just work harder

D

Deleted member 1258

On my fixed I'm using 44 x18 with 25mm tyres and 165 cranks for a 64.5 inch gear, I'm a touch under geared but it gives me a good compromise between hills and flat.

http://calculator.fixedforum.it/

OP
OP
kloeshuman

kloeshuman

I may end up having to gear a little under too, I'm running 45x15 25mm tires and 172.5 cranks for the 79.1 inch

OP
OP
kloeshuman

kloeshuman

17 may end up the gear in the rear, although..... I took the bike out friday night for about a 6mile ride, and I was pretty happy with the feel. If I use it to commute to work I may end up back with the 17. Only reason will be for those hills, I have 2 really steep hills if I go one way, the other way there is just one what I would call medium hill that is about 1.5 miles long. Im pretty sure 17 would work for that one. I guess the best test would be to tackle it on my next day off and see.

Top Bottom