Trying to find out the year of my bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RJ2375

Hi, I have been left 2 old bikes and haven't got a clue of their age etc. Just wondering if anyone could be of some assistance, they are both badged up as Raleigh bikes. the bike with the white seat has the number 2354867, and the bike with the black seat has the number 726204
White Seat.jpg

Attachments

• Black Seat (2).jpg
    Black Seat (2).jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 15

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think the black-seat bike has a trigger shifter, so probably has a SA gear hub which will be stamped with its year (last two digits) and month of manufacture. If it's the original hub, that will date the bike.

Otherwise, I think there are sites explaining Raleigh's serial numbers but I don't remember what is a reliable one.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Nice :becool:

Not a Scooby on age, the black seat one is older but they're both reasonable quality bikes the trouble is Raleigh still made bikes similar up until the late 80s. The best idea will come from the dates on the SA rear hubs, Raleigh did keep scrupulous records when they built em but they reused frame number sequences and any 'archive' of them doesn't exist but then they must have made countless millions of bikes.

OP
OP
R

RJ2375

Thanks for all the help and information, the black saddled bike has the date of 1951 on the hub, so I am presuming that it would have been built in that year, and the white saddled bike has the date of 74 or 71 I will have to double check that one.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thanks for all the help and information, the black saddled bike has the date of 1951 on the hub, so I am presuming that it would have been built in that year, and the white saddled bike has the date of 74 or 71 I will have to double check that one.
Both sound 'right' to me. :becool:

Top Bottom