Trying to get more active

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lilamccoll

Hi there, everyone just looking to get more active and used to love cycling so thought I would give it a go again ^_^. I live inGlasgow and just looking for ideas where we can go as a family. I have 2 young boys and not to confident with them going on roads. Many thanks Lila

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi Lila :welcome:

If the boys are old enough, how about going down to the velodrome to learn track cycling? That would be a lot of fun and there would be no cars to worry about! Family introductory session only £10 adult + £8 per child.

Last edited:

pjd57

Veteran
Welcome.

Lots of routes in Glasgow.
The canal runs through from Clydebank out to Kirkintilloch and beyond.
There's a branch into the city to Spiers Wharf near Cowcaddens.
Kelvin path runs from beside the Riverside museum through Kelvin grove and the botanic gardens.
Clydeside path goes all along the north side of the river.
There's a route out the city heading south can't remember it's number but it goes out to Pollock park then on to Paisley and beyond.
Great for riding with kids.

For easy going rides without the kids look up Free Wheel north . They have rides start from Glasgow green and the white House in Maryhill.

Any specific locations you want to try just ask if you are not sure of routes.

OP
OP
lilamccoll

lilamccoll

Thank you all for the recommendations. Will definitely give it a go. The canal ones are good so maybe give them a go.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi Lila, welcome to CC!
I live in South Lanarkshire myself, Rutherglen.
It's dire for inexperienced cyclists, segregated facilities are few and far between.
I would start with taking the kids to Chatelherault country park: there is now a cycling path that takes you to Strathclyde park from there.
I guess the kids can only do weekends and school hols.
If you can get to Morrissons Cambuslang, just across it there is the entrance to the Clyde river path, takes you all the way into town.
CamGlen Bike Town ( find them on FB or Google their website) are a cycling hub in Rutherglen, they organize beginners rides on weekdays, free parking available.
@flyingfifi is one of their ride leaders.
Freewheel North in Glasgow Green also do beginners rides (kids welcome) on a Tuesday from 10.30am to around 1.30: you can hire a bike for a pound donation, this is a short walk from Bridgeton station, free parking available.
There are a few ladies only groups in Glasgow, the Belles on Bikes, the Glasgow Gals, Breeze, all have web and FB presence.
Anymore info, just ask!

pjd57

Veteran
Thank you all for the recommendations. Will definitely give it a go. The canal ones are good so maybe give them a go.
Forth and Clyde canal is a real gem in our city.

Just make sure you don't get lost at Stockingfield junction.
Canal splits and if you want to head out towards Falkirk it's a downhill path, a tight road tunnel , the back up the other side.
Nothing too drastic but a lot of people manage to get a bit lost.

The led rides are great for getting to know the various routes .

Top Bottom