TT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sambu

Ive been riding about 8 months and ive done 4 time trials, two 10 and two 13.7 miles. The first ten was 28.18 and the second (yesterday) was 26.29. the fist 13.7 was around 38 the second was going well up to aroundabout half way in where i turn round and go straight back, but my front gear cable broke and i finished the course in the small ring, finishing on 41.30 ish. my question is ive been warming up for around 10 minutes before, is this enough? will a longer warm up tire me out or improve my time. im 22

cheers

I'd do ten minutes stretching, ten on my arms, then ten on the bike.

Then I'd take five minutes to get some energy gels down me, get some fluids on board, then keep warmed up till I start, Don't have a huge gap between warm up and race.

scott s10

get a 30 min warm up starting slow then getting faster gradually then towards the end do 8 second sprints about 1 minute apart

OP
OP
Sambu

Sambu

are you going better at the start of the time trial or towards the end?

NOt sure really, the first mile or so i feel awfull and then get into it, i usually get a twinge of cramp comming off the roundabout but the return leg is where i go best i suppose.

e-rider

crappy member
If you feel terrible in the first mile you are either: going off too fast; or you are not warmed up properly.

If you feel strong towards the end then you would probably benefit from a longer/better warm up. Cramp could be a sign that your muscles were not well prepared before the race started.

If you are new to the sport, now is the best time to experiment. Try a longer warm up and see if it helps. Also try starting slightly slower and pick the speed up after 1 or 2 miles (don't start too slow though!!!)

OP
OP
Sambu

Sambu

cheers i will try that! is there anything sepcific which would help the cramp? i.e stretching (its in my calf usually)

scott s10

get some cramp pills they have potassium and different sallts to stop cramp . i think they are called--- high five zero pills

e-rider

crappy member
NUUN offer a better version of High5 Zero tabs IMO

To avoid cramp, warm-up properly, stay hydrated and do more training!

scott s10

<br />NUUN offer a better version of High5 Zero tabs IMO <br /><br />To avoid cramp, warm-up properly, stay hydrated and do more training!<br />
<br /><br /><br /> no they dont. also it might be that your restricting salt in your diet because some people think its more healthy, if you are get some more in because salt is vital for your muscles to work properly

e-rider

crappy member
<br /><br /><br /> no they dont. also it might be that your restricting salt in your diet because some people think its more healthy, if you are get some more in because salt is vital for your muscles to work properly

Well, if you compare ingredients, they are almost identical in terms of salts/electrolytes but High5 like to put dodgy flavourings and sweetners in, whereas NUUN don't (except for sorbitol)

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Try a longer warm up, starting easy and building to some race type efforts. Throw in a couple of real vomit inducers just so's your body knows what's coming up.

oldroadman

Veteran
Try a longer warm up, starting easy and building to some race type efforts. Throw in a couple of real vomit inducers just so's your body knows what's coming up.

Are you eating correctly pre-race? Nothing later than 2 hours before and keep it light. Serious eating (the big pasta etc.) is for the day before the race. An energy gel just after warm up is finished and water to be properly hydrated.
Longish warm up, starting easy with a session at race speed about 5 minutes from the end, then taper off and try to arrive at the start only thre to five minutes before your allocated time. You MUST stretch before starting warm up, gently while you are waiting to start, get some deep breaths for the starting effort, and stretch before and after EVERY training session and race. This will do more to prevent cramps and injuries than all the pills in the world.
This way you should be able to start fast and keep it going, remember in a TT if it's not hurting it's not fast enough. The degree of hurt is up to you, but the object is to finish feeling you have nothing left to give.
Then go for a gentle warm down for at least ten minutes, do the stretches, THEN check to see if your time has been posted.
Following that a recovery drink, some high energy food, and you'll be set up again.

Top Bottom