Tubeless Tyre ?????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris-H

Über Member
The mrs got a pun***re the other day on her road bike,i finally got round to having a look at it today and could'nt believe my eyes when i went to take the inner tube out,the tyre was bonded onto a very shallow rim,the spokes are recessed and theres no rim tape.
So......what tyres are these and i take it to put normal tyres and tubes on i need to replace the wheels? I really dont want to do this as its a very good quality bike,handbuilt titanium Raleigh,Campagnolo Chorus everything,Hope rear hub,etc etc etc,the mrs loves it and right now i cant afford new wheels.Are these tubeless tyres readily available,roughly how much are they and what is needed to bond them onto the rim.?????? The rims are Mavics if thats relevant,tyres are continentals.
Desperatly need some advice please.
forgot the pics.
jacsrearwheel001.jpg

jacsrearwheel002.jpg

jacsrearwheel003.jpg

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Hi Chris. You need some rim cement. Most good bike shops stock it. Still used a lot on track bikes / race bikes

On applying the cement use plenty of it. Id get a spare tub (tubeless) and rim cement for the en route tool kit

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
<br />Hi Chris. You need some rim cement. Most good bike shops stock it. Still used a lot on track bikes / race bikes<br /><br />On applying the cement use plenty of it. Id get a spare tub (tubeless) and rim cement for the en route tool kit<br />
<br /><br /><br />
Thanks for the info mate but how can i repair the puncture if its possible or is it a case of new tyre?Also what else does she need to carry to get her home if it happens again,luckily i was at home so went and rescued her in the car,otherwise a 14 mile walk home.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Hi Chris. You can fix a pun++*** on a tub. Just google 'Tubular bike repair kit'. Not something you want to do en-route. As was my advice being carrying on spare tub / cement en route. Be a good idea carrying a tub repair kit as well.

I keep the wheels personally. Only cons is the tyres are on the expensive side and repairs can fail. though some people love em for the performance.

John :smile:

screenman

Legendary Member
Personally I would rather use tape than glue, quicker, easier and less messy. I feel tubulars do run well when fitted well, I rode them for many years, with today's clinchers the difference I fell is negligible.

If you wanted to stick to them there are quite a few people who offer a postal repair service.

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
Going to have to sleep on this one,the rear wheel is on an anodized Hope Hub which the mrs loves,both rims are Mavics but if she keeps getting flats then i feel it might be best to out the current rims in favour of the more practical tube and tyre,the mrs is'nt into racing et,actually she's a complete novice so i doubt she'll even notice the difference in ride.

If we was to sell the current tubs roughly what are they worth,i know the rear hub is a good un but just not sure what both wheels would be worth.

Top Bottom