Tubes without threaded valves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MessenJah

Rider
I asked my LBS about this because my Silca pump head sometimes gets stuck on threaded valves. You can buy Silca valve extenders that screw onto your presta valve and are smooth on the outside. Which would effectively give you a threadless valve. Kind of.

What do you need threadless valves for anyway? Same reason as above or what?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Michelin Airstop were threadless last time I bought some.

Bonj - I found that they're slightly easier to get a pump head on than threaded valves. You also don't really *need* the threads if you're not using the nut to hold the valve stem against the rim.

MessenJah

Rider
Is that nut actually of any use? I've never found it to be useful for anything. I can't see how I benefit from using the nut, but I keep them on because "if they're there, then they must be there for a reason".

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I fitted a tube tonight, and as is my normal practice the nut and the dustcap went in the bin.

I've never seen the point of either.

MessenJah

Rider
I think the dustcap helps prevent dust/dirt/moisture from getting into the valve, which is useful if you ride in crappy conditons. I don't like having crap all over my valves. And it makes it that little bit less easy for some little toerag to let air out of your tyres when you're not looking. Not much, though.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
When I had box section rims, (if that's the right word, the ones with a flat bit opposite the channel for the tube) I used the nut - it just looks daft on an aero or semi-aero rim though.

I always use the dust caps, particularly the conti yellow ones that match my tyres on my good wheels...:blush:

Top Bottom