Tubless or not for road bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
A song in there
Tubby the tubeless?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I ride Continental GP5000s tubeless. Expensive but worth the money in my view. I went tubeless on my summer bike March 2019. I had no punctures on the first set but several nicks which sealed. I've had two punctures on the second set which failed to seal both caused by large pieces of glass - no tyre tubed or tubeless would have survived.

Putting a tube in when it's raining is a difficult job. The combination of water and sealant is messy to say the least. I now carry a small piece of cloth and latex gloves!

I'm very happy with them. Is it one of life's cycling essentials? No.

I'm looking at gravel bikes and mulling over whether to have tubed or tubeless.

Dan77

I'm getting a bike with tubeless ready wheels but I'm sticking with tubes.

Personally I don't think the benefits are worth the effort and the hassle on the rare occasion you have a problem when out.

Each to their own.

You'll get 3 answers:

1) Many that have never tried it and say it's crap because xxxxx
2) Those that have tried it and have had a poor experience as it is more complex to set up, they'll of course say they won't try it again
3) And those that have had success and are brainwashed by it's advantages

I'm in category 3 and enjoy riding without any spare tube but do rely on being able to have a minor puncture that seals itself or something more serious that needs a worm and maybe some milk (i do carry 60ml of milk). One day i'll have a TL tyre failure that can't be fixed at the roadside and for that i have a plan (it does involve a kitchen upgrade though:ohmy:)

Is carrying a spare tube that much of an inconvenience ? Surely it's very marginal over carrying your milk stuff anyway.

straas

Matt
Is carrying a spare tube that much of an inconvenience ? Surely it's very marginal over carrying your milk stuff anyway.

I carried a spare tube for a few thousand KM.

Turns out some tubeless setups have very very little tolerance, and won't accept a tube at all

I carried a spare tube for a few thousand KM.

Turns out some tubeless setups have very very little tolerance, and won't accept a tube at all
Blimey. I have tubeless compatible rims so I'd need to be careful not to get tyres that are tubeless only ?

(As I'm an old stick in the mud)

straas

Matt
Mine are Mavic Kysrium UST, so come set up as tubeless - I imagine there's more tolerance in the tubeless compatible setups.

In theory the tubes should go in, but in practice - it's impossible.

Top Bottom