Tuesday 20 December: King's Cross vigil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AnotherEye

From 6pm on Tuesday 20 December 2011 cyclists, pedestrians, and friends and family of recent crash victims will gather outside King's Cross station for a Xmas vigil to remember loved ones and highlight the unacceptable death toll on the capital’s roads.

The London Cycling Campaign, RoadPeace, London Living Streets, and prominent bloggers are inviting all Londoners to join them beside one of the city's most dangerous junctions where already a cyclist has been killed this year.
http://lcc.org.uk/articles/kings-cross- ... -the-dutch

Titan yer tummy

No meatings b4 dinner!
From 6pm on Tuesday 20 December 2011 cyclists, pedestrians, and friends and family of recent crash victims will gather outside King's Cross station for a Xmas vigil to remember loved ones and highlight the unacceptable death toll on the capital’s roads.

The London Cycling Campaign, RoadPeace, London Living Streets, and prominent bloggers are inviting all Londoners to join them beside one of the city's most dangerous junctions where already a cyclist has been killed this year.
http://lcc.org.uk/articles/kings-cross- ... -the-dutch

(edited)

Here is the article from the Londonist: http://londonist.com/2011/12/christ...n=0a5883f58c-Londonist+Daily&utm_medium=email

And here is the single comment:

Dave Nash
7 hours ago
I agree that care has to be taken by local government to ensure London's cyclists are given cycle routes that are safe, but I believe responsibility for safety on our roads lies with all road users; specifically cyclists themselves, who I regularly see crossing red lights and riding seemingly without any awareness of the risks around them.

So here we are trying to focus the attention of the world on cycling safety issues and because of some w@nk3r5 in our ranks we find ourselves on the back foot talking about CYCLISTS JUMPING RED LIGHTS.

Ladies and gentlemen this is the true cost of cyclists not playing by the rules and we will never be able to move the conversation on until we are seen as law abiding road users.

If anyone on this forum needs a reason to not jump red lights then I suggest you ask the relatives of these 16 unfortunate souls who are with us no more!! (this is in no way intended to suggest that any of these accident victims was a RLJ. This is purely to make the point that idiots who jump lights and try to justify it are a major impedance to those trying talk about road safety for cyclists.)

OP
OP
AnotherEye

AnotherEye

Titan, whilst I agree that RLJ cyclists do not help our cause I feel compelled to comment on your last paragraph:
If anyone on this forum needs a reason to not jump red lights then I suggest you ask the relatives of these 16 unfortunate souls who are with us no more!!
To my knowledge there is no evidence whatsoever that any of these 16 cyclists had jumped a red light which is the (unintended?) implication of the above.

Titan yer tummy

No meatings b4 dinner!
Titan, whilst I agree that RLJ cyclists do not help our cause I feel compelled to comment on your last paragraph:To my knowledge there is no evidence whatsoever that any of these 16 cyclists had jumped a red light which is the (unintended?) implication of the above.

Right! Thanks for that. Certainly didn't intend top imply victims were RLJ's so I've amended my post which I hope makes this clear.

CamPhil

It's got bugger all to do with red light jumping (or pavement cycling).
The people who blame the victim are as likely to use not wearing a helmet, or riding in the middle of the road.
It's because they are pricks, and we're an out-group.

Top Bottom