Turbo trainer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dougster

Due to lots of frost, poor road conditions and the prospect of a long, bleak winter, I have just ordered a Tacx Sirius Turbo Trainer. Do I need a special tyre? Do rear tyres wear out quickly?

oxbob

Yes they will, and scare the daylights out of you if they go bang while hammering it, i like most here have a cheap wheel with a conti turbo tyre on saves changing tyres risking pinch punctures

gbb

Legendary Member
Dougster said:
Due to lots of frost, poor road conditions and the prospect of a long, bleak winter, I have just ordered a Tacx Sirius Turbo Trainer. Do I need a special tyre? Do rear tyres wear out quickly?

Not neccessariy Dougster...
I run a Cycleops Mag turbo with my normal wheels, shod with Conti Gatorskins.
No problem whatsoever. No wear. No excess heat. I usually ride it for 1 hour sessions.

That said, i'm an infrequent visitor to the turbo, and i dont go like blazes on it. I use it as a way of keeping in some sort of condition when the weathers really bad.

It may be some tyres are not suitable...but the Gators work fine on mine.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've run race tyres on them - Mich Pro Race 2's before, but I'd say get a cheap tyre for regular use....

Never had any issues , but I don't use my turbo often.

RedBike

The turbo trainer definately acclerates the wear on the rear tyre. It also only wears the central bit so your tyres become 'squared' off.
I've never had any trouble with heat before though.

I've tried using a dedicated turbo tyre and appart from being a bit quiter I couldn't really see any advantage in them.

Now whenever I replace the tyres on my road bike I always buy a pair. I bin the old rear tyre but use the old front tyre (as it's normally still in fare condition) as a turbo training tyre.

gbb

Legendary Member
One thing may be important regarding wear and heat Dougster..
Certainly the Cycleops has a swinging arm to bring the roller into contact with the tyre (i assume they all work the same way). I always set mine with the minimum amount of pressure needed on the tyre to avoid slipping, rather than just 'whacking it on'.
If you push too hard, it can slip, but its just finding the right amount of contact pressure. Perhaps it causes excess heat / wear if the contact pressures too high.

Top Bottom