Twistshift vs Bar end shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spennie

Veteran
Should i change my twist shifters on my ice sprint to bar end shifters? I cannot decide, i have no problems with my twist shifters, apart from they're a bit bulky,but a lot of people seem to have gone with bar end shifters, would there be any improvement if i changed to bar end shifters. or is there no diffrerance between the two.

starhawk

I'm in the process of changing from twisters to bar end but in my case I ain't entirely satisfied with the twister. OK they work but there ain't any smooth shifting and you have no idea what gear you have it in. There is a indicator on the twister but it's way down on the stick so you really can't read it

Flyfisher

I was also thinking of changing the twist shifters, my LBS has a Shimano 9 speed LX STI Brake & Shifter Combo M580 that look interesting. I have a 2006 QNT. Anyone know if they are suitable to be used in the vertical position as required on the trike handlebars. they allow shifting from the brake lever and also from a thumb lever.

Thanks
Jim

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
If you happy with twist shifters, then no need to change as you don't know what you're missing. I was well happy with the twisters on my old Ice Trice, but the bar end shifters on the Catrike are so much better suited to triking. Never a missed change, and no more slippy palms to worry about when changing.

starhawk

I was also thinking of changing the twist shifters, my LBS has a Shimano 9 speed LX STI Brake & Shifter Combo M580 that look interesting. I have a 2006 QNT. Anyone know if they are suitable to be used in the vertical position as required on the trike handlebars. they allow shifting from the brake lever and also from a thumb lever.

Thanks
Jim

It would work, a couple of guys has used a combo and the only downside is that you got to have she wireguides in a big loop at the end of the steering lever

Top Bottom