Two incidents today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist

Simon_m

Guru
I've had a rather good day with a small white van driver who was, i have to say, paying more attention then I was. I was cycling in bus lane, he was in the "normal" lane and was going to turn left. He waited for me to pass on inside, which, once i became aware of his indicator and what he was going to go, swept around and overtook him on his right. Thanks to a nice van driver! now, your vids

vid 1, yep pretty dam close
vid 2, just a prat trying to get ahead in the traffic, one of those morons who thinks he has more right on the road then you.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I don't think the person in vid 2 even saw me, or even looked to their right!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Good thing you don't commute in London every day as you will be filling these pages up with videos.
I see that type of behavior (Especially the first vid) every day

zigzag

Veteran
first one - dangerous and unpleasant. second - happens quite often, i just ignore them. always have my fingers on a brake lever in similar situations. i had the opposite observation in last two days - two incidents where cyclists were riding irresponsibly provoking motorists to get out of their cars for a chat.

Chilternrides

I didn't like the look of the overtake I have to say!
On the other hand, I've more or less come to expect the half-blind pull out at T-junctions and the like, so if I'm not sure I've made eye contact I tend to go out pretty wide. Either way, not pleasant experiences, that's for sure.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
[QUOTE 1338950"]
You really do need to check behind you more often. Especially in your first vid, approaching a pinch point whether moveable of fixed. You should always have a quick check to see what the traffic is doing.

The moveable PP is the truck on the other side of the road therefore you may get squeezed (which you did). The fixed PP further on down the road which was the traffic island I noticed you did not look over your shoulder at all. People should really adopt this practise when approching potential hazards as it's good to know what the traffic behind you is doing.
[/quote]

Yeah, you're right I should check behind me more.
I do usually look behind me when coming up on a pinch point, but probably need to make sure I do it more regularly.

Paul_L

Über Member
[QUOTE 1338950"]
You really do need to check behind you more often.
[/quote]

+1.

I wonder if folk wearing cameras are less inclined to look behind (too busy looking ahead to see what's being captured on fim, and thinking the film will look rubbish with constant looking over shoulders?). I know there are exceptions to this, Magnatom to name one, and i know there are others, but just a thought.

Still, the first overtake wasn't pleasant.

I would always prepare for the roundabout pull out as in the 2nd vid and if they did wait for me to pass, offer a friendly thank you wave.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
+1.

I wonder if folk wearing cameras are less inclined to look behind (too busy looking ahead to see what's being captured on fim, and thinking the film will look rubbish with constant looking over shoulders?). I know there are exceptions to this, Magnatom to name one, and i know there are others, but just a thought.

Not consciously, but I'll bear it in mind.

Still, the first overtake wasn't pleasant.

I would always prepare for the roundabout pull out as in the 2nd vid and if they did wait for me to pass, offer a friendly thank you wave.

I was prepared - I was already on the brakes when she came out.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Good thing you don't commute in London every day as you will be filling these pages up with videos.

Aye, but should we tolerate it, or should we do something about it? I think I would have done nothing more than beep and make a pushing out to the right motion, rather than upload it, but then I wasn't there for this overtake.

Whilst the looking back more is true enough, it's true for many of the cyclists I see in London. I wonder how much looking back I'd see if I followed behind you?

punkedmonkey

I can only speak for myself on this one (but hope this is true of many others!), but having recently got a camera - I just forget about it when riding along. For me it's largely just there to help provide a greater weight of evidence if I get hit or something... not to make some cinematic documentary out of.

Actually, I was quite intrigued (and pleasantly encouraged) to notice the amount of looking around I actually do when cycling to/from work! Though we can all benefit from more general awareness...

subaqua

What’s the point

Thats what i thought for both. thats a normal day along ruckholt road and warren road

Top Bottom