two right hand english threads on bottom bracket - can't find sealed unit to fit..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keith brown

I have purchased an old Mixtie frame to build up something different for the missus. However whilst the frame is "Made in Germany" the bottom bracket appears to have two right hand threaded 1.37 x 24tpi sides. I have tried a threadless bottom bracket but in my normal fashion forgot to include the width of the "stop" shoulder on the non drive side and as a consequence purchased a too short a length bracket. The square drive is about 2 mm short for the crank I am using. However my question is - is there a sealed unit that comes with two right hand threads that is 1.37 x 24tpi. I am saying that is the size as the left hand part of a sealed unit fits both sides of my frame. I know I can purchase another longer threadless type but would prefer to have the look of the threaded type where the non drive side is flush with the bottom bracket. Am I clutching at straws or is there such an item as I require. I know I can make up a non sealed bearing type but that would be from scratch. Any help would be appreciated.

Venod

Eh up
Is it a good fit when screwed in ? could it be a french BB as mentioned here.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-bottombrackets.html

OP
OP
keith brown

keith brown

Is it a good fit when screwed in ? could it be a french BB as mentioned here.

I don't think so as that had been my original thought and I bought a French threaded BB only to find it wouldn't fit. Basically it wouldn't start to thread in. I don't know how much slack you can expect between the French and English threads but using the English threaded BB one side has a very slight amount of slack for about the first four / five threads but then becomes tight. The other side is tight right from the second thread.
I thought it may have been an early Rayleigh which apparently was right handed both sides but I can't find any sealed bearings that are made for that option. Odd that the only reference I can find to Rayleigh using righthand threads on both sides on early bikes is in the link following.
http://bikeraceinfo.com/tech/bottom-brackets.html

Thanks for reply.

OP
OP
keith brown

keith brown

@keith brown try a threadless unit
My feeling is that that will be the only option. The threadless one I had purchased (which is too short due to my lack of measure twice and "buy" once!!) was a Velo Orange which has a sleeve which is apparently designed to stop slippage. However how much is slippage a problem for someone not likely to be overdoing the physical exertion. If not a major issue then saving £30.00 on this single item may be worth the risk.
Cheers for suggestion.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
True but the problem with the Italian ones are that although they are 24 tpi the shell length is 2mm longer at 70mm compared to 68mm and the cup size is 1mm larger so unlikely to fit.

Thanks for reply, following link is where I'm getting some of my info from so just hope they are right!!

http://bikeraceinfo.com/tech/bottom-brackets.html

Yes. Of course I looked after I posted. For some reason I'd always understood that Italians were the same thread as English. Never had to test my knowledge (fortunately). Good luck with sorting it out. I know others who have successfully used threadless BBs.

midlife

Guru
That's an odd one! I tend to use Sheldon's crib

Threadless then :smile:

Shaun

Tim Hall

I've seen some sealed units where the left cup (right hand thread) has a lip on it. Surely you could use one of those in place of the existing right cup with its left hand thread. I might even have one in my bits box.

OP
OP
keith brown

keith brown

I've seen some sealed units where the left cup (right hand thread) has a lip on it. Surely you could use one of those in place of the existing right cup with its left hand thread. I might even have one in my bits box.
I didn't realise that the driven side threaded shell is removable. All mine seem pretty fixed, perhaps some heavier persuasion is required. The idea seems to be the ideal answer, just a case of getting old left handed thread off and finding a shouldered right one. Many thanks for the suggestion.

Tim Hall

I didn't realise that the driven side threaded shell is removable. All mine seem pretty fixed, perhaps some heavier persuasion is required. The idea seems to be the ideal answer, just a case of getting old left handed thread off and finding a shouldered right one. Many thanks for the suggestion.
I'm sure I've dismantled one in the past (the bearings were bog standard deep groove cartridge jobs, pressed into a tube). Use of the REME Standard Adjusting Tool could be handy.

OP
OP
keith brown

keith brown

I'm sure I've dismantled one in the past (the bearings were bog standard deep groove cartridge jobs, pressed into a tube). Use of the REME Standard Adjusting Tool could be handy.
I have removed the existing shell, flange resting uppermost in closed but not tight vice jaws and a short tap on the spindle which is protected by a piece of wood and bobs your uncle. Brilliant thanks. Having got this far I was looking on the web and found a page showing replacement threaded end caps for bottom brackets. They were specific to the same manufacturer bottom bracket, an american make. These did not have a flange on either side which leads me to the question - do you need a flange on the driven side? I have only seen them with a flange but now wonder if any non driven side would do?
Sorry for further question but a non flange type is more common from what I can see and as I don't have either it may be easier to acquire the more common type.
Again many thanks for help.

davidphilips

Veteran
i know you are well on your way to sorting out bottom bracket problem but theres another way ie http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/grand-cru-threadless-bottom-brackets.html
i am sure theres another type of self threding bottom bracket on ebay thats very cheap i bought one a few years ago and it simply screwed in cutting its own threads into its self not the frame for use on bikes with damaged threads i used it on a bike that a friend had messed up his threads.

Attachments

• Koala.jpg
    Koala.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
OP
OP
keith brown

keith brown

i know you are well on your way to sorting out bottom bracket problem but theres another way ie http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/grand-cru-threadless-bottom-brackets.html
i am sure theres another type of self threding bottom bracket on ebay thats very cheap i bought one a few years ago and it simply screwed in cutting its own threads into its self not the frame for use on bikes with damaged threads i used it on a bike that a friend had messed up his threads.
Thanks for info. I've never heard of self threading BB's so may be something to look at if first option is unsuccessful. Many thanks for interest and comments.

Top Bottom