Two things, canal tow paths, and carrying a bike on public transport.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
It will be in the manual or Google.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Get rid of aerosol you just need a spare tube and at least learn how the wheels go on and off. That's my two pence worth. Can't be doing with all this modern frippery a tube is plenty. 😁
That's unnecessarily Luddite. An aerosol can is worth it when it works and conditions were too horrible for patching or changing a tube to be fun. Patching without removing a wheel is better if you've got time and a way to clean your hands after. Replacing the tube is probably the last resort most of the time.

But cans can be a messy nightmare when they don't work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ericmark

ericmark

The instructions say
Rear Wheel - Bolt-on installation
1. lf the bicycle has rim brakes, make sure the brakes are loose enough
to allow the wheel to pass through the brake pads easily For disc
brakes, no adjustment is required.
2, Place the wheel into the frame dropouts.
3. Slide a washer onto each side of the axle
4. install axle nuts and tighten. Make sure the wheel is centred in the
frame. This may be easiest with the bike turned upside-down.
5. Spin the wheel to make sure that it is centred and clears the brake
shoes. Tighten the brakes if necessary
Nothing on how to disconnect cable. I bought the bike second hand, the owner had MS and it had got worse after Colvid19 injection so could not ride it, there was 1 km on the display, seems it arrived part dismantled but rear wheel was already attached, I had found my driving licence had not been renewed after hitting 70, and wanted a way to travel without using buses, as train station closed due to Colvid19, so this was a way to cope with the hills. Not the bike I would have bought had I been able to travel to get one, but being folding it means don't need cycle rack, so can be rescued with standard car.

Wife's e-bike far better with mid motor so it works through gears, and it allows one to put some effort into riding with three levels of assistance, the motor in wheel seems to give level of assistance based on speed not effort, 5 levels, and level one seems to assist if under around 5 MPH, level two around 10 MPH, and level 3 around 15 MPH, it does not seem to stop at 16 MPH and with levels 4 and 5 it seems assistance does not turn off until well over the speed one can physically pedal at, it is CE marked, but seems likely not strictly legal. However since private sale not much I can do about it now, other than sensible riding.

I want to change the tyres as would like thinner tyres with some puncture resistance, riding on my own has been OK, but riding with wife I found either could not keep up with her level 2 or putting in hardly any effort level 3 which was a surprise as with non electric on a flat road I could match her speed except for up hill.

Idea of bike is:-
1) To be able to stop where I want to take photos, often no where to park a car.
2) Help me to keep fit.
3) Get me to local destinations without using car.
4) Recreational riding mainly with wife.
For the latter we look for engine traffic free routes, like canal tow paths, old railway lines etc. We carry small tool kit, chain link pusher etc. But the puncture is the real worry, normally carry a spare tube and puncture outfit, but don't really want to have to repair a puncture if I can help it.

Due to being folding mountain bike style the panniers we did use will not fit, it was let slip getting some thing for Christmas to cure problem so can't really go out and buy some thing, so everything carried in a ruck sack, so want to keep to minimum.

As said I think wife's bike is far better, but also it was twice the price.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
If you are worried about punctures and riding flat routes. Consider more puncture proof tyres for your bikes. A spare tube patch kit and tube as backup. Mini bus taxi if still stranded.

Top Bottom