Two Weeks Since Work Bike Theft

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
You could make a point by taking some bolt cutters into work and cutting all the cable locks off. I don't understand why they even sell cable locks to be honest, they're not fit for purpose.

I do not think that would make me very popular. If people are still ignorant or lazy after what has happened then it will be their lose.

Jezston

Über Member
My current employer provides an underground locked garage, with 24hr security CCTV, security card access, and I like my bike with a big thick chain through front and back wheels. However, loads of other people leave helmets, cleets, jackets lying loosely over the bikes to "air" during the day...

I'm not sure I'd want to 'air' something in an underground garage. Wouldn't your clothes end up smelling of petrol fumes and mildew at the end of the day?

PK99

Legendary Member
Only one bike was double D locked, securing the frame to the bike shed and both wheels. 

Is it any surprise that many folks are reluctant to commute by bike or use bikes as general transport when there is a need to double D-lock them to keep them from being stolen?

I know an astonishing number of people who have had bikes stolen in and around Wimbledon while they "popped into a shop" leaving their bike on a reasonably hefty cable lock. I now never leave mine where i cannot see it - and i still had to ditch a lock a little while ago when i found it half cut through

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
Is it any surprise that many folks are reluctant to commute by bike or use bikes as general transport when there is a need to double D-lock them to keep them from being stolen?

I know an astonishing number of people who have had bikes stolen in and around Wimbledon while they "popped into a shop" leaving their bike on a reasonably hefty cable lock. I now never leave mine where i cannot see it - and i still had to ditch a lock a little while ago when i found it half cut through

People seem willing to spend 1000+ on a bike then just a fiver on a crappy lock, then wonder why it was nicked. It almost like driving to work and leaving the car unlocked then wondering why they choose that car.

It is worthwhile paying a few quid more to have some security to put of everyone apart from the seriously tooled up criminals or just have a very cheap bike you could not care less if it was stolen or not.

I use a chunky D lock to lock the back wheel and frame to something solid (round the rear chainstay through the wheel) and use a cable that loops onto the D lock to secure the front wheel.

My bikes only have QR rear wheels, the fronts require a 6mm allen key (the bolt is a little bit rounded out so I hammered a 6mm in, the norm is 5mm)

on the mountain bike the cable is looped through the bridge of the forks too.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
That would be nice and secure, unfortunately we have flexi-time so locking it would be a pain.

I do not think there is such a thing as a reasonable cable lock, they can all be cut very quickly with bolt croppers, the cycle thief's favoured weapon.

I agree,its there mainly as an added visual deterrent as most bikes there are bolted purely using a thin cable lock.The D- lock is the main lock.

Only some one with access to the bike sheds that are covered with CCTV and are only open at shift changes is the main anti theft system as you get to know who is a regular and what they ride.

The one day i did half day i did take the car as it would have been to much hassle to try and get security to open the cages.

The cage is made of the stuff that builders use to segregate there works (like a metal mesh fence) that has been bolted to the bike sheds with a door that is locked.

taxing

We have a lockable bike shed at work, but the stands are those crappy butterfly type ones. The only reason I'm willing to lock my bike to one is because I work at a uni, and the bike sheds are staff only, so the rest of the campus has lots of Sheffield stands with poorly locked bikes attached. Bike thieves could have a field day without having to break in to the bike shed.

If anyone has any tips on locking your bike to a butterfly stand, I'd be interested in hearing them. I currently lock my front wheel to the stand with my D lock and then lock the frame and the back wheel with a cable lock. I can't turn my bike around because the basket makes it front heavy so it topples over if the front wheel isn't in the stand.

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
We have a lockable bike shed at work, but the stands are those crappy butterfly type ones. The only reason I'm willing to lock my bike to one is because I work at a uni, and the bike sheds are staff only, so the rest of the campus has lots of Sheffield stands with poorly locked bikes attached. Bike thieves could have a field day without having to break in to the bike shed.

If anyone has any tips on locking your bike to a butterfly stand, I'd be interested in hearing them. I currently lock my front wheel to the stand with my D lock and then lock the frame and the back wheel with a cable lock. I can't turn my bike around because the basket makes it front heavy so it topples over if the front wheel isn't in the stand.

If it was not in a lockable bike shed then you would need three D locks, front wheel and stand, back wheel and frame, front wheel and frame. Or buy a reasonably long Almax chain with Squire lock, very expensive and very heavy, my 1.5m chain and lock weigh over 8Kg, I leave it at work.

Peter10

You could make a point by taking some bolt cutters into work and cutting all the cable locks off. I don't understand why they even sell cable locks to be honest, they're not fit for purpose.

All you would have to do is annoy one person enough to report you for criminal damage, probably not the best idea.

taxing

If it was not in a lockable bike shed then you would need three D locks, front wheel and stand, back wheel and frame, front wheel and frame. Or buy a reasonably long Almax chain with Squire lock, very expensive and very heavy, my 1.5m chain and lock weigh over 8Kg, I leave it at work.

If it wasn't in the lockable bike shed I wouldn't be using the butterfly stands, I never lock up to them apart from in the shed at work. I figure that it's safer in there than it is locked to the sheffield stands outside.

Top Bottom