Two wheels bad - two legs good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CotterPin

Has anyone else had a similar incident as this?

Yesterday coming up to a roundabout - I was going to take the second exit and I should have been further out in my lane but it's usually fairly quiet so I was just tootling along in secondary.

Car overtakes me fairly close and then cuts me up to take the first exit. But then stops to allow some pedestrians to cross the road, effectively boxing me in. :biggrin:

Am I being paranoid or have other people had experiences when they've seen a driver do something stupid around them but then gone on to behave impeccably to some pedestrians later on?

I am not saying pedestrians shouldn't be given priority but I was just a little bewildered that he followed the Highway Code which says you should give way to pedestrians crossing a side road but hadn't bothered about the bit about giving cyclists room when overtaking.

Stephen

spindrift

Similar:

A vehicle overtakes you, then slows to allow a turning car through. Sometimes the turner sees you and stops, sometimes they don't, but the driver of the first vehicle must think the cyclists suddenly ceases to exist once overtaken!

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
CotterPin said:
Has anyone else had a similar incident as this?

Yesterday coming up to a roundabout - I was going to take the second exit and I should have been further out in my lane but it's usually fairly quiet so I was just tootling along in secondary.

Car overtakes me fairly close and then cuts me up to take the first exit. But then stops to allow some pedestrians to cross the road, effectively boxing me in. :sad:

Should have opened his tailgate, if you'll pardon the expression! :biggrin:

spindrift said:
...but the driver of the first vehicle must think the cyclists suddenly ceases to exist once overtaken!
Yes, this is exactly the way some drivers seem to think. It's like when they cut you up, and you catch 'em for a good talking to later on - they sometimes look amazed at the fact you've caught them, with a look on their face that says "Can't be you, I've overtaken you - how can you be here". Wierdos.

domtyler

Über Member
This is certainly not unusual behaviour towards cyclists. There is a well known, but unspoken of pecking order on the roads:

Artics
Vans
4x4s
Cars
M/Bikes
Scooters
Smart Cars
Sinclair C5s
Powered Wheel Chairs
Unpowered Wheel Chairs
Skate boards
Roller blades
Pedestrians
Dogs
Cats
Rats
Snakes
Creepy Crawlies
Cyclists

Cab

spindrift said:
Similar:

A vehicle overtakes you, then slows to allow a turning car through. Sometimes the turner sees you and stops, sometimes they don't, but the driver of the first vehicle must think the cyclists suddenly ceases to exist once overtaken!

Or... Car behind you flashes lights at car waiting at side road in front of you, car at side road pulls out right into you. What, am I not even here?

yenrod

domtyler said:
This is certainly not unusual behaviour towards cyclists. There is a well known, but unspoken of pecking order on the roads:

Artics
Vans
4x4s
Cars
M/Bikes
Scooters
Smart Cars
Sinclair C5s
Powered Wheel Chairs
Unpowered Wheel Chairs
Skate boards
Roller blades
Pedestrians
Dogs
Cats
Rats
Snakes
Creepy Crawlies
Cyclists

Buses :biggrin:

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
yenrod said:

Single deck, low floor, double deck or bendy?

:becool:

what about squirrels???

i think some drivers would rather run a cyclist over than damage their car on a stationay object, if they had to hit something, or even if there was just a small chance... Luckily, i havent come across many..

domtyler said:

Artics
Vans
4x4s
Cars
M/Bikes
Scooters
Smart Cars
Sinclair C5s
Powered Wheel Chairs
Unpowered Wheel Chairs
Skate boards
Roller blades
Pedestrians
Dogs
Cats
Rats
Snakes
Creepy Crawlies
Cyclists

I wouldn't be too sure of this. I get plenty of grief (in my artic, that is) from car drivers who see me as a large slow vehicle in their way. The roads are for cars, and even artics come a good long way down in the pecking order.

Top Bottom