Typical . . .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yashicamat

. . . finally got my singlespeed commuting machine all set up, and the forcast is for sub-zero temperatures and snow tomorrow!;):rolleyes:

23mm tyres with very little tread . . . hmm, I best be careful. Quite determined to ride in anyway though as it's supposed to be reasonably clear first thing.

Awww, bad luck. ;)
But if if it's anything like the snow and colder temps earlier this year and a road with no grit, the cars going along it cleared it, what ever they are pumping out cleared the snow after time, even cycling with not much tyre tread was ok in the normal tyre tracks left by cars, with a bit more balancing skills though. ( I was wearing an old padded m/c jacket just in case!) But it is good fun if you can get away with it :rolleyes:

OP
OP
yashicamat

yashicamat

I should think that 80% of the route will be well salted so that should be OK . . . it's just my way to avoid the 40mph 4-lane bypass is to nip through the ped zone at 7am and that obviously isn't gritted . . . and it's on a hill! Might have to be extra careful there.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I was going to say, you are local - no planned snow...., but the weather is usually a bit worse in Macc than Stockport.....

Very wet, I'll be checking temps in the morning..might be the bus/car......

OP
OP
yashicamat

yashicamat

Well, the commute was fine, freezing rain this morning made me very careful, but the journey home was OK despite the snow coming down on me. Had to walk the last bit down our road though as it was white with snow!

Clamson

There is 10 cm of snow forecast for my county tonight. I'm torn between seeing how my bike handles in snow that deep, and the resulting large amount of fun, or staying at home and not risking severe injury. I can't leave my village and go anywhere without descending a 15% minimum hill.

OP
OP
yashicamat

yashicamat

Clamson said:
There is 10 cm of snow forecast for my county tonight. I'm torn between seeing how my bike handles in snow that deep, and the resulting large amount of fun, or staying at home and not risking severe injury. I can't leave my village and go anywhere without descending a 15% minimum hill.

15% is steep if you find you can't stop!:ohmy:

Matty said:
What is the single-speed commuting machine, details please?

Ta.

This is it, a bike I built up recently around a Rixon Italian steel frame, with a mixture of Campagnolo cranks/drivetrain, Shimano 105 brakes and Mavic Open-Pro wheels wearing 23mm Schwalbes:

111209.jpg

More info can be found in this thread where there are some build photos:

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=49387

Scroll through to page 3 if you want to just focus on this bike; I originally was attempting the project with an old Galaxy frame.

Cheers. :biggrin:

Attachments

• 111209.jpg
    111209.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 11
Top Bottom