Tyre advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just swapped my kenda kriterium for some Schwalbe Blizzard Sport Tyre's but after fitting they seem to be a big step down and I found my self changing down an extra gear than normal. Is this the price you pay for a bit of puncture resistance ? Saying that they were cheap so I guess I need to pay a bit more. The kenda's were looking a bit worn and I seemed to be getting punctures quite regularly of late but I am tempted to stick them back on
Maybe I should get a pair of these Continental Ultra Gator Skin Bike Tyre - 700c x 23c not too bad a price in halfords

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Just swapped my kenda kriterium for some Schwalbe Blizzard Sport Tyre's but after fitting they seem to be a big step down and I found my self changing down an extra gear than normal. Is this the price you pay for a bit of puncture resistance ? Saying that they were cheap so I guess I need to pay a bit more. The kenda's were looking a bit worn and I seemed to be getting punctures quite regularly of late but I am tempted to stick them back on
Maybe I should get a pair of these Continental Ultra Gator Skin Bike Tyre - 700c x 23c not too bad a price in halfords

Depends what you want from a tyre, but if you want light (as puncture resistant tyres go), fast rolling tyres with serious puncture protection then I would choose folding 23c continental gatorskins, or Michelin 'Krylion' tyres. There are also Vittoria Rubino, but they're very slippery in the wet.

I had a pair of Kenda Kriteriums but they turned into puncture magnets after only 300km, they are so thin they offer no protection from glass and thorns.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Depends what you want from a tyre, but if you want light (as puncture resistant tyres go), fast rolling tyres with serious puncture protection then I would choose folding 23c continental gatorskins, or Michelin 'Krylion' tyres. There are also Vittoria Rubino, but they're very slippery in the wet.

I had a pair of Kenda Kriteriums but they turned into puncture magnets after only 300km, they are so thin they offer no protection from glass and thorns.

Really? blimey... I have done 100's of miles in the wet on Rubino's with no problems.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Much of performance is down to weight - you can get light weight and puncture resistance, but they cost more.

Are you running them at the correct pressure. Kenda tyres are rubbish.

peelywally

Really? blimey... I have done 100's of miles in the wet on Rubino's with no problems.

outside edge of a rubino is like sandpaper , pretty good in the wet id say .

also fairly good puncture protection that said weather has turned and hedge cutting is in full swing so im using gators till things pick up again and i can put rubinos back on .

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
outside edge of a rubino is like sandpaper , pretty good in the wet id say .

also fairly good puncture protection that said weather has turned and hedge cutting is in full swing so im using gators till things pick up again and i can put rubinos back on .

Yep..

peelywally

Much of performance is down to weight - you can get light weight and puncture resistance, but they cost more.

Are you running them at the correct pressure. Kenda tyres are rubbish.

you can maybe save 40 grams using lighter tyres but for winter your clothing is adding maybe 200grams ? so grams dont count in my book then theres the added weight of the repair kit needed ,

unless your racing with a back up vehicle and spare tubes etc the weight saving is negligible and just go for the best puncture protection you can get .

Top Bottom