Tyre blow out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TAV

Guru
Hi I changed my tyre yesterday to another wheel got up this morning and noticed it was flat when I had a look the side wall of the tyre had blown and there was a big rip in the inner tube.

The wheel was in the bike off the floor it's a bit strange,the wheels had 25mm on them and the ones I've put on there now are 23 mm.

Attachments

• 16424127350947920250932510528614.jpg
    16424127350947920250932510528614.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 16424128154918445128487131674094.jpg
    16424128154918445128487131674094.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 20

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Happens - Conti's do do that. Tyre looks quite old.

It looked a tyre failure caused by a trapped inner tube on the bead, I’ve had it happened before but usually only on cheap tyres. Given the size of the gash the tyre also looks like it may also have been slashed previously (might not have noticed).

si_c

Guru
It looked a tyre failure caused by a trapped inner tube on the bead, I’ve had it happened before but usually only on cheap tyres. Given the size of the gash the tyre also looks like it may also have been slashed previously (might not have noticed).
A trapped inner tube wouldn't do that. The sidewall of the tyre has failed at th bead and the inner tube has burst as it tried to get through the gap, causing the gap itself to widen.

It's not uncommon, most usually occurs in old tyres or where (as you noted) the sidewall has been compromised by road debris.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I would say this /\

OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
Looks like it's time for new tyres if I can get hold of them I'm still waiting on planet x shop to email me when the jack brown mile muncher come back in.

Ajax Bay

Guru
the side wall of the tyre had blown and there was a big rip in the inner tube.
It looked a tyre failure caused by a trapped inner tube on the bead,
A trapped inner tube wouldn't do that. The sidewall of the tyre has failed at the bead and the inner tube has burst as it tried to get through the gap, causing the gap itself to widen.
As Si says. I have had a (should have replaced earlier 4000 mile on rear) Conti tyre (GP 4000S2 622-28) fail like this, with a loud bang, fortunately at slow speed. Tube was just like that and tyre had at least a 5cm split just above bead. Combined use of carried tyre boot and a £5 note got me most of the way home before it failed again.

vickster

Legendary Member
Looks like it's time for new tyres if I can get hold of them I'm still waiting on planet x shop to email me when the jack brown mile muncher come back in.
Just get something else surely, I wouldn’t wait for an obscure OOS bike part to come in, Schwalbe have a good range of tyres which Spacycles often have at good prices. You don’t want a blow out while descending!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I had a Semperit 26" x 1 3/8" roadster tyre let go 100 yards into a ride, sounded like a gun going off and made passers by jump. The tyre plies appeared to be cotton rather than nylon, and had probably been affected by damp storage in a shed. It was also about 43 years old at the time of failure!

I had a Semperit 26" x 1 3/8" roadster tyre let go 100 yards into a ride, sounded like a gun going off and made passers by jump. The tyre plies appeared to be cotton rather than nylon, and had probably been affected by damp storage in a shed. It was also about 43 years old at the time of failure!
Ive had a couple of Tubs blow out. Biiig bang.

Top Bottom